William Felton Russell (born February 12, 1934, in Monroe, Louisiana) is a former U.S. basketball player of the Boston Celtics, remembered for his central role in the Celtics dynasty that won eleven NBA championships in thirteen seasons.
- To me, one of the most beautiful things to see is a group of men coordinating their efforts toward a common goal, alternately subordinating and asserting themselves to achieve real teamwork in action. I tried to do that, we all tried to do that, on the Celtics. I think we succeeded
- "What do you think of the Chicago Bulls winning three in a row?" -- Russell: "Not much."
- In perspective, Russell won eight times in a row with the Celtics.
About Bill Russell
- How much does that guy make a year? It would be to our advantage if we paid him off for five years to get away from us in the rest of this series.
- Hall-of-Fame player Dolph Schayes