Boxing is a combat sport in which two participants, generally of similar weight, fight each other with gloved fists.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.
- Muhammad Ali, attributed in Chambers Sporting Quotations (1990), by Simon James, p. 27
- Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.
- Muhammad Ali, in Talent Is Never Enough : Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent (2007) by John C. Maxwell, p. 141
- Boxing is the toughest and loneliest sport in the world.
- To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other.
- Boxing is for men, and is about men, and is men. A celebration of the lost religion of masculinity all the more trenchant for its being lost.
- Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing (1987), p. 72
- You know, I cut easily, so I don’t think I would’ve won the title, but I would’ve been a contender.
- Roger Donahue, American boxer. As quoted by Budd Shulberg in his interview for The Times (UK) newspaper, 19th January 2009
- Boxing Day. I hope it will be made clear on this foggy anniversary of it to every foreigner who is passing his first Christmas in London, and who may have read that la boxe has been put down in this country, that the shops are not closed and a holiday given to those employed therein to enable them to spend Boxing Day in fist-fighting, an old English sport and pastime not now kept up, except under the influence of an excess of liquor, Pugilism being mainly restricted to conflicts on the question of who was the architect of the Houses of Parliament.
- In those days, boxing was very glamorous and romantic. You listened to fights on the radio, and a good announcer made it seem like a contest between gladiators.
- Everyone has a plan until they've been hit.
- He can run, but he can't hide
- Joe Louis who coined two of boxing's most famous quotes