Brian Souter is a Scottish businessman who founded the transport company Stagecoach Group with his sister Ann Gloag in 1980. He is a man of strong convictions, some of which have lead to controversies.
- I think people are very tired and angry of what happened with our banks in Scotland and I think this creates an opportunity in the future to build a new bank which is based on mutual principles. It's not going to be speculating in all kinds of strange derivatives and it's not going to be a bank that's going to be focused overseas, it will be a bank that's focused in Scotland - and really it's a peoples' bank.
- As quoted on the BBC Web Site (27th August 2010)
- There are difficult choices to be made that have important social and environmental consequences. You have to protect the elderly and the poor.
- As quoted on the CityAM Web Site (26th July 2010 )
- It is a great honour to receive such a prestigious European Transport award. I’m lucky enough to do a job in a sector I’m passionate about and this award is also a tribute to the many people at Stagecoach who have worked with me and contributed to our success over the past 30 years.
- As quoted on the Stagecoach Group Web Site (22nd May 2010 )
- I believe public transport has a great future as we see increasing signs of economic recovery and it has a major role to play in helping Europe and the rest of the world meet the challenge of climate change.
- As quoted on the Stagecoach Group Web Site (22nd May 2010)