Captain America is a fictional superhero, created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, who first appeared in Timely Comics' Captain America Comics #1 (March 1941). He is typically an icon of liberty and patriotism, but favors freedom over blind loyalty.
- For the 2011 film, see Captain America: The First Avenger
- Keep flying, son. And watch that potty mouth!
- Crashing on top of a flying F-15, after the pilot exclaims "Jeezus!" in Civil War # 1
- Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.
- Facing S.H.I.E.L.D. Cape-Killers in Civil War #1
- Ninety percent of the casualties of World War I were soldiers, fraulein. But half the people who died in World War II were civilians... Half of sixty-one million. I know why I'm fighting, fraulein. I don't want to see World War III.
- To a German student, Captain America vol. 4 #5. Actual WW2 death figures around 72 million.
- I'm loyal to nothing, General.. except the Dream.
- After an army general confronts him about his loyalty, Daredevil #233
- I fought your kind every day of that war, Zemo! You mocked democracy and said that free men were weak! Well feel this grip, Zemo — it's the grip of a man who loves liberty! Look into the eyes of your foe, and know that he will die for his freedoms! The world must never again mistake compassion for weakness! And while I live — it had better not!
- Avengers, vol.1 #6
- Avengers assemble!
- Various comics where he appears with the Avengers
- Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
- Amazing Spider-Man #537
- Do you actually think the fact that you know how to program a computer makes you more of a human being than me? That I'm out of touch because I don't know what you know? I know what freedom is. I know what it feels like to fight for it and I know what it costs to have it. You know compromise.
- To Tony Stark, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. , Civil War: The Confession
- Captain America is not here to lead the country. I'm here to serve it. If I'm a captain, then I'm a soldier. Not of any military branch, but of the American people. Years ago, in simpler times, this suit and this shield were created as a symbol to help make America the land it's supposed to be... to help it realize its destiny. Ricocheting from super-villain duel to super-villain duel doesn't always serve that purpose. There's a difference between fighting against evil and fighting for the common good. I'm not always able to choose my battles... but effective immediately, I'm going to make an effort to choose the battles that matter. Battles against injustice, against cynicism, against intolerance. I will still serve with the Avengers. I will continue to defend this nation from any and all threats it may face. But as of today, I am not a "super hero." Now and forevermore, I am a man of the people. Together, you and I will identify and confront America's problems. Together, we will figure out what we are and what we can be. Together, we will define the American Dream and make it an American reality.
- Captain America, Vol. 4, #7
- Listen to me -- all of you out there! You were told by this man -- your hero -- that America is the greatest country in the world!
- He told you that Americans were the greatest people -- that America could be refined like silver, could have the impurities hammered out of it, and shine more brightly!
- He went on about how precious America was -- how you needed to make sure it remained great!
- And he told you anything was justified to preserve that great treasure, that pearl of great price that is America!
- Well, I say America is nothing!! Without its ideals -- its commitment to the freedom of all men, America is a piece of trash!
- A nation is nothing! A flag is a piece of cloth!
- I fought Adolf Hitler not because America was great, but because it was fragile! I knew that liberty could be snuffed out here as in Nazi Germany! As a people, we were no different than them!
- When I returned, I saw that you nearly did turn American into nothing!
- And the only reason you're not less then nothing --
- -- is that it's still possible for you too bring freedom back to America!
- What If?, #44
- Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think.
- Captain America: The Chosen
- Sharon... So Pretty... You... Take... My breath...
- Steve Rogers' Final Words , Captain America, Vol. 5, #25
- These are dark and desperate times. I know that some of you are afraid. It's alright. It's perfectly natural. But I want you to know that I am not. I am not afraid to die this day because what we do here is necessary. It may seem impossible, our enemies may appear to be endless, but that doesn't matter. Because there is no one else. Look at me. I believe in an idea, an idea that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose, that one man can win a war. Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction, and you can change the world.
- Speech to Nick Fury's Howling Commandos, Dark Reign: New Nation
- Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?
- Fighting against extraterrestrial Nazi Herr Kleiser in Ultimates Vol.2
- Yeah, I'm gonna fight you. You know why? Because I fought besides Russians during World War 2. They were good and decent men, and they made terrible painful sacrifices to save their country. And to their country then turn around and put monsters in prisons with nuclear landmines... to see people like you, proudly complicit in this nightmare... Yeah, I'll fight you. You've waited forty years for me in this hellhole, I feel it'd be impolite not to kick your head in.
- To a Soviet supervillain, Ultimate Nightmare #4
- What are you ladies waiting for, Christmas?!
- Leading a battalion of US army troops in WW2 in Ultimates #1
- When Captain America throws his mighty shield,
All those who choose to oppose his shield must yield!
If he's led to a fight and a duel is due,
Then the red and the white and the blue will come through,
When Captain America throws his mighty shield!"
- Theme song from the 1960s Marvel Super Heroes Cartoon.
Capcom Fighting games
- Freedom Prevails!
- Thumbs up, Soldier!
- Good Work, Soldier!
- For Truth, Justice, and the American way!
- Believe in your country, but believe in yourself!
- Stars and Stripes!!! (when performing his "Stars and Stripes" special attack)
- Charging Star!!! (when performing his "Charging Star" special attack)
- Final Justice! (when performing his "Final Justice" super move)
- Your kind's got no shot--not while I'm around.
- The day I fall to the likes of you is the day I hang up my shield. (After defeating M.O.D.O.K. in Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
- We Avengers will always fight the good fight! (When winning with the Avengers team in Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
- You think I'm going down to some pampered punk like you? (when up against Iron Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
- Your name's Zero? Hope you don't fight like one. (when up against Zero in Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Quotes about Captain America
- "On Olympus, we measure Wisdom against Athena, Speed against Hermes, Power against Zeus. But we measure Courage... against Captain America."
- Hercules, Captain America #444