Days of Thunder
Days of Thunder is a 1990 film which revolved around a talented, hot-shot auto racing rookie, Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise), who, after trying his hand in the American open wheel ranks, seeks to win on the NASCAR circuit. His mechanic mentor, Harry Hogge (Robert Duvall), acts as his crew chief and Dr. Claire Lewicki (Nicole Kidman) is a young brain surgeon who tries to tame Cole.
Cole Trickle 
- I'm droppin the hammer.
- Let me drive I won't make a fool out of you.
- Claire, I'm more afraid of bein' nothing than I am of being hurt.
Harry Hogge 
- [talking to a race-car chassis] I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect.
- [talking to "his" race-car] I'm settin' you up for cool weather... but if that sun breaks, after you're out on the track, you're liable to get real loose real quick. Now I don't wanna worry you or nothin, but, Cole's not ready for that... he's changed, see, he's changed. You cannot get out of control and expect him to bring you right back. He's liable to hurt you, you're liable to hurt him, and... I couldn't handle that, so, ah, you've gotta take care of him... see... you gotta take care of him.
- No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.
- His way... [slaps a ruined tire] my way... '[slaps a lightly worn tire] I was 6 seconds faster.
- Tim, take a look at that hound. That's the best coon-dog I ever seen or heard about and I didn't to teach him a damn thing.
- Drivers can't stand to be reminded of what can happen to 'em in a racecar. They, they don't go to hospitals, they don't go to funerals. You get a driver to a funeral before he's actually dead, you've made history, darlin'.
- Now, Cole, when you shift the gear and that little needle on the tach goes into the red and reads 9000 RPMs, that's bad.
Tim Daland 
- [calmly] We messed up big time on Sunday. I had sponsors in the stands and I'm huggin' and holdin' hands and kissin'em in the ears and prayin' for a good showin'. And what do we do? [shouting] We end up lookin' like a monkey fuckin' a football out there!
- If you're from California, you're not a Yankee. You're not really anything.
- And Harry, I know you're great, you know you're great, but if the guy in the car doesn't trust you, we're never gonna win a damn race.
Rowdy Burns 
- Ok, I'm going to pull this rookie's chain.
Claire Lewicki 
- You and Rowdy have the same sickness, it's called denial and it's probably going to kill you both.
- Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.
- Harry Hogge: What do you know about stock car racing?
- Cole Trickle: Well... watched it on television, of course.
- Harry Hogge: You've seen it on television?
- Cole Trickle: ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
- Harry Hogge: I'm sure I would.
- Harry Hogge: All right. While we're still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
- Cole Trickle: Hit the pace car?
- Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
- Cole Trickle: What for?
- Harry Hogge: Because you've hit every other goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.
- You can't stop the thunder.
- You can't outrun the thunder.
- Cruise like Thunder.
- Tom Cruise — Cole Trickle
- Robert Duvall — Harry Hogge
- Randy Quaid — Tim Daland
- Michael Rooker — Rowdy Burns
- Nicole Kidman — Claire Lewicki