Driving Miss Daisy
Boolie Werthan 
- [after Florene storms out when Katie Bell makes a mistake] Don't worry, Katie Bell, it's not quite the end of the world.
- [Calling after Hoke as he drives away with Miss Daisy] Goodbye! Good luck! [To himself] Good God.
- Daisy Werthan: Hoke?
- Hoke Colburn: Yes'm?
- Daisy Werthan: You're my best friend.
- Hoke Colburn: No, go on Miss Daisy.
- Daisy Werthan: No, really, you are... [takes Hoke's hand] You are.
- Hoke Colburn: Yes'm.
- [Hoke and Idella are walking to Daisy's house and notice Boolie's car in the driveway]
- Hoke Colburn: Now what do you suppose he's doin' here this early in the morning?
- Idella: Dunno... can't be good, I promise you that!
- [Hoke walks in, Boolie and Daisy are there to confront him about a missing can of salmon]
- Hoke Colburn: Morning, Miss Daisy. I think it's gettin' ready to clear up out there! Oh, 'scuse me, Mr. Werthan!
- Boolie Werthan: Hoke, I think we're gonna have to have a little talk.
- Hoke Colburn: All right, sir. Just let me get outta my coat. [pauses, then turns to Daisy] Oh, Miss Daisy, yesterday, while you were out visitin', I went and et a can of your salmon. Now, I know you said eat the left-over pork chops, but they was kinda stiff! So, I stopped at the Piggly Wiggly and got you another can. You want me just to go on and put it in the cupboard?
- Daisy Werthan: [embarrassed] Yes, that'll be fine... thank you, Hoke. Well, I guess I'd better get dressed now!
- Daisy Werthan: Did you have the air-conditioning checked? I told you to have the air-conditioning checked.
- Hoke Colburn: I had the air-conditioning checked. I don't know what for. You never allow me to turn it on.
- Daisy Werthan: Hush up!
- Daisy Werthan: You should have let me keep my old LaSalle. It never would've behaved this way and you know it.
- Boolie Werthan: Mama, cars don't behave. They are behaved upon. Fact is, you demolished that Chrysler all by yourself.
- Daisy Werthan: Say what you want, I know the truth.
- Boolie Werthan: The truth is, you just cost the insurance company $2,700. You're a terrible risk. Nobody's gonna issue you a policy after this.
- Daisy Werthan: You're just saying that to be hateful!
- Boolie Werthan: OK. I am. I'm makin' it all up. Look out there in the driveway! Every insurance company in America is out there, waving their fountain pen, trying to get you to sign up!
- Boolie Werthan: How're you, Idella.
- Idella: Livin'.
- Boolie Werthan: Where's that vacuum cleaner I brought over here?
- Idella: In the closet.
- Boolie Werthan: [turning to Hoke] She won't touch it.
- Idella: I would if it didn't give me a shock every time I come near it!
- Boolie Werthan: It works for me!
- Idella: Fine... you clean and I'll go down and run your office!
- Idella: I'm goin' Miss Daisy.
- Daisy Werthan: [from upstairs] Alright, Idella, see you tomorrow.
- Hoke Colburn: I'm goin' too, Miss Daisy.
- Daisy Werthan: Good.
- [Hoke and Boolie are walking thru Daisy's now vacant house discussing how Hoke and Daisy have been since Daisy had to be put in the nursing home]
- Boolie Werthan: I suppose you don't get out to see her very much.
- Hoke Colburn: No, sir, I don't... it's hard not drivin' Miss Werthan anymore. Every now and then I takes a taxi cab, but don't too many taxis go out yonder.
- Booile Werthan: I'm sure she appreciates it.
- Hoke Colburn: Yes, sir. [pauses] Some days, she better than others... but then, who ain't?
- [Hoke and Boolie both laugh]
- [Hoke and Boolie are at the nursing home visiting Daisy. Daisy appears unwilling to speak much]
- Boolie Werthan: Hoke, I thought about you the other day on the road. I saw an Avondale Milk truck.
- Hoke Colburn: Is that right?
- Boolie Werthan: Monster of a thing, looked to have about sixteen wheels.
- Hoke Colburn: You don't say!
- Boolie Werthan: I was wondering how you'd like drivin' that thing around!
- Daisy Werthan: [to Boolie] Hoke came to see me, not you!
- Hoke Colburn: Look like one o' her good days!
- Daisy Werthan: Boolie, go charm the nurses!
- Boolie Werthan: [smiling] She wants you all to herself. [to Daisy] You're a doodle, Mama.
- [Hoke is trailing Daisy in the car as she walks to the supermarket]
- Daisy Werthan: What are you doing?
- Hoke Colburn: I'm tryin' to drive you to the store!
- Daisy Werthan: [on the phone, trying to get a ride to her hair appointment] Well, I need you now, I have to be at the beauty parlor in half an hour... no, I most certainly did not know you have to call a minimum of two hours ahead! I don't know why you call yourselves a taxicab company if you can't provide taxicabs!
- Idella: [in the other room, polishing her toes] Why don't you call your son down at the mill? He'll send someone to carry you.
- Daisy Werthan: That won't be necessary... I'll just cancel the appointment and fix my own hair!
- Idella: Sometimes I think you ain't got the sense God gave a lemon!
- Daisy Werthan: You know your letters, don't you?
- Hoke Colburn: Oh yeah, yeah, I know my ABCs pretty good, just can't read.
- Daisy Werthan: Stop saying that, you're making me mad! If you know your letters, you can read. You just don't know you can read.
- Hoke Colburn: Ma'am?
- Daisy Werthan: I taught some of the stupidest children God ever put on the face of this earth, and all of them could read well enough to find a name on a tombstone.
- Hoke Colburn: Hey, there, Oscar, Junior...how you boys doin' this morning?
- Oscar: How the old lady treatin' you, Hoke?
- Hoke Colburn: Lord, I tell you one thing...she sho' know how to throw a fit!
- [Hoke, Oscar, and Junior break out in laughter]
- Daisy Werthan: What's so funny?
- Hoke Colburn: Nothin', Miss Daisy. We jus' carryin' on.
- Boolie Werthan: What I need is for somebody to drive my mother around.
- Hoke Colburn: Well, if you don' mind my askin', sir—how come she's not hirin' for herself?
- Boolie Werthan: See, it's kind of a delicate situation.
- Hoke Colburn: Oh, yessir, yessir...done gone around the bend a little bit. Well, now, that'll happen as they get old...
- Boolie Werthan: Oh, no, she's all there. Too-much-there is the problem! [Hoke laughs]
- The comedy that won a Pulitzer Prize.
- The funny, touching and totally irresistable story of a working relationship that became a 25-year friendship.
Main cast 
|Morgan Freeman||Hoke Colburn|
|Jessica Tandy||Daisy Werthan|
|Dan Akyroyd||Boolie Werthan|
|Patti LuPone||Florine Werthan|