- Quotes are arranged alphabetically by author
A - F
- (Capitalism is) an economic system based on private, rather than state, ownership of businesses, factories, transport services, etc, with free competition and profit-making.
- Allwords.com: Lemma "Capitalism", 2006.
- So far we have studies how, for each commodity by itself, the law of demand in connection with the conditions of production of that commodity, determines the price of it and regulates the incomes of its producers. We considered as given and invariable the prices of other commodities and the incomes of other producers; but, in reality the economic system is a whole of which the parts are connected and react on each other. An increase in the incomes of the producers of commodity A will affect the demand for commodities Band C, etc., and the incomes of their producers, and, by its reaction will involve a change in the demand for A. It seems, therefore, as if, for a complete and rigorous solution of the problems relative to some parts of the economic system, it were indispensable to take the entire system into consideration. But this would surpass the powers of mathematical analysis and of our practical methods of calculation, even if the values of all the constants could be assigned to them numerically.
- Antoine Augustin Cournot. Researches into the Mathematical Principles of the Theory of Wealth, 1897, English transl. by Nathaniel T. Bacon. p. 137.
- The state of an economy is the resultant of real flows and money flows. The financial institutions operating through capital and money markets is institutional infrastructure. It lubricates the wheel of the economic system
- L. N. Dash in:World Bank and Economic Development of India, APH Publishing, 2000, p. 207.
- The European model is, first, a social and economic system founded on the role of the market, for no computer in the world can process information better than the market.
- Jacques Delors in: Steven Hill Europe's Promise: Why the European Way is the Best Hope in an Insecure Age, University of California Press, 2010, p. 21.
- I should like to suggest to you that the cause of all the economic troubles is that we have an economic system which tries to maintain an equality of value between two things, which it would be better to recognise from the beginning as of unequal value.
- When you print money, the money does not flow evenly into the economic system. It stays essentially in the financial service industry and among people that have access to these funds, mostly well-to-do people. It does not go to the worker.
- Marc Faber, in Tom Keene and Alix Stee Marc Faber sees considerable downside risk in US stocks and no place to hide from a systemic crisis even gold, arabianmoney.net, 28 March 2013.
- Today we have access to highly advanced technologies. But our social and economic system has not kept up with our technological capabilities that could easily create a world of abundance, free of servitude and debt. This could be accomplished, if we implement a resource-based economy.
G - L
- We complain of the increased tempo of our lives, but our frenetic lives are just reflection of the economic system that we have created.
- We are socialists, we are enemies of today’s capitalistic economic system for the exploitation of the economically weak, with its unfair salaries, with its unseemly evaluation of a human being according to wealth and property instead of responsibility and performance, and we are all determined to destroy this system under all conditions.
- Adolf Hitler, In a speech (1 May 1927), as quoted in Adolf Hitler : The Definitive Biography (1976) by John Toland.
- With impressive proof on all sides of magnificent progress, no one can rightly deny the fundamental correctness of our economic system.
- Herbert Hoover in:Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Herbert Hoover, 1929, Best Books on, 1 January 1974, p. 511.
- The British came to India primarily as traders but ultimately succeeded in carving out a strong empire in India. During their rule of over two centuries, they brought about far-reaching changes in the economic system of India. They completely destroyed the isolationist and self-sufficing character of the village;…
- N. Jayapalan in: Economic History of India, Atlantic Publishers & Dist, 1 April 2008, p. 110.
M - R
- The economic structure of the ideal society also resembles the structure of a healthy human body. Production, distribution and consumption should have an organic, interdependent relationship such as that which exists between the digestive, circulatory and metabolic systems. There should not be destructive competition due to overproduction; nor should there be excessive accumulation or overconsumption due to unfair distribution, which would be contrary to the welfare of all people. There should be adequate production of necessary and useful goods, fair distribution to supply what is sufficient for people's needs, and reasonable consumption in harmony with the purpose of the whole.
- Here's what I don't think works: An economic system that was founded in the 16th century and another that was founded in the 19th century. I'm tired of this discussion of capitalism and socialism; we live in the 21st century; we need an economic system that has democracy as its underpinnings and an ethical code.
- Capitalism is an organized system to guarantee that greed becomes the primary force of our economic system and allows the few at the top to get very wealthy and has the rest of us riding around thinking we can be that way, too - if we just work hard enough, sell enough Tupperware and Amway products, we can get a pink Cadillac.
- Michael Moore in: Atlantic: How the Sequester Could Devastate Our Poorest Schools, Uprisingradio.org 1 March 2013.
- There can be no peace in the world so long as a large proportion of the population lack the necessities of life and believe that a change of the political and economic system will make them available. World peace must be based on world plenty.
- John Boyd Orr in:Peace!: By the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates : an Anthology, Page 31, Unesco Publishing, 1995, p. 162.
- It's a historical phenomenon that in 250 years, a nation could move from a colony into the most prosperous nation of the world and the leader of the world. It is indeed an achievement, a tribute to the talent of the American nation, the American people and an optimal political and economic system.
S - Z
- When Roosevelt came along, I approved of his program, generally. I figured an economic system should work for people, not vice versa.
- The fact that industries wax and wane is a reality of any economic system that wants to remain dynamic and responsive to people's changing tastes.
- But what I believe is that if a person's individual rights or right to be a part of our economic system is violated under statute, we aggressively go after it. But we don't issue mandates to businesses that you've got to do this and you've got to do that.
- Clarence Thomas in: Free Minds & Free Markets: Twenty-five Years of Reason, Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy, 1 January 1993, p. 144.
- Methods by which engineers stabilise their mechanisms suggest analogous possibilities for stabilising economic systems.
- An economic system is not a linear system, and... this fact stands in the way of the determination of the parameters of the system by methods that presume linearity, and... it introduces great difficulties in the extrapolation from past behaviour for purposes of prediction.
- Arnold Tustin (1953) The Mechanism of Economic Systems: An approach to the problem of economic stabilisation from the point of view of control system engineering. p. ix.
- Daily life is governed by an economic system in which the production and consumption of insults tends to balance out.
- Our economic system, run for profit and waste and based primarily on the extractive industries, is the cause of climate change. We have wasted the earth's treasure and we can no longer exploit it cheaply.
- Vivienne Westwood in:Vivienne Westwood's 10 Steps to Climate Revolution, permaculture.co.uk, 12 September 2012.
- The main message we want to get out there is that climate change is caused by the rotten economic system.
- Vivienne Westwood in: Hattie Crisell Vivienne Westwood’s Five Most Westwood-y Backstage Quotes, nymag.com, 18 February 2013.
- In the latter half of the last century the impact of the expanding influence of Western culture and economic system brought about in China a severe conflict.
- Capitalism is not an economic system, but a world-outlook, or rather, a part of a whole world-outlook.