- A person in a rented apartment must be able to lean out of his window and scrape off the masonry within arm's reach. And he must be allowed to take a long brush and paint everything outside within arm's reach. So that it will be visible from afar to everyone in the street that someone lives there who is different from the imprisoned, enslaved, standardised man who lives next door.
- There are no evils in Nature, there are only evils of Man.
- Title of manifesto (May 1990)
Mould Manifesto against Rationalism in Architecture (1958)
- Everyone should be able to build, and as long as this freedom to build does not exist, the present-day planned architecture cannot be considered art at all.
- We must at last put a stop to having people move into their quarters like chickens and rabbits into their coops.
- Only when architect, bricklayer and tenant are a unity, or one and the same person, can we speak of architecture. Everything else is not architecture, but a criminal act which has taken on form.
- Today we live in a chaos of straight lines, in a jungle of straight lines. If you do not believe this, take the trouble to count the straight lines which surround you. Then you will understand, for you will never finish counting.
- The straight line is godless and immoral.
- [This sentence also occurs in Hundertwasser's manifesto "On the Paradise Destroyed by the Straight Line" (1985).]
- The arts should be positive,free,romantic,beautiful,something like a jewel,something which you cannot do without.
- Interview with Harry Rand 1993
- The line I trace with my feet walking to the museum is more important and more beautiful than the lines I find there hung up on the walls.
- Paris 1953
- Visual pollution is more poisonous than any other pollution because it kills the soul.