|This musician-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- It's never been for love of money. I thank God for it because it makes me a living. But I sing because I love it, not because of the dollar signs.
- Billboard - 28 Oct 2006 - Page 48.
- I couldn't think or eat nothin' unless it was Hank Williams, and I couldn't wait for his next record to come out. He had to be, really, the greatest.
About George Jones
- When people ask me who my favorite country singer is, I say, 'You mean besides George Jones?
- If we could all sound like we wanted to, we’d sound like George Jones.
- I would give anything if I could sing like George Jones.
- While he and his idol, Hank Williams, have both affected generations with a plaintive veracity of voice that has set them apart, Jones has an additional gift—a voice of exceptional range, natural elegance, and lucent tone. Gliding toward high tenor, plunging toward deep bass, the magisterial portamento of his onward-coursing baritone emits white-hot sparks and torrents of blue, investing his poison love songs with a tragic gravity and inflaming his celebrations of the honky-tonk ethos with the hellfire of abandon.
- Nick Tosches The Devil in George Jones, 1994.