Herbie Rides Again
Herbie Rides Again is a 1974 comedy film. It is the sequel to The Love Bug, released six years earlier, and the second in a series of movies made by Walt Disney Productions starring an anthropomorphic 1963 Volkswagen racing Beetle named Herbie.
- Grandma Steinmetz: Of course I have to humor Herbie. He used to be a famous racing car, but his driver went off to Europe to drive foreign cars, so he's a little sensitive. You can understand that.
- Willoughby Whitfield: We understand your position, Mrs. Steinmetz. That's why Mr. Hawk has authorized...
- Grandma Steinmetz: Don't tell me you're from Alonzo Hawk?
- Willoughby Whitfield: Yes.
- Grandma Steinmetz: Oh, and you have such a nice face.
- Grandma Steinmetz: Oh Nicole, I want you to meet a gentleman from Mr. Hawk.
- Nicole Harris: How do you do?
- Willoughby Whitfield: Please, Miss Harris, I can't believe Uncle Alonzo would do things like that.
- Nicole Harris: Wait a minute! Uncle? He's your uncle?
- Willoughby Whitfield: Yes. That's what I've been trying to tell...
- Nicole Harris: You rotten spy!
- Willoughby Whitfield: [rehearsing to his mirror] Uncle Alonzo, I've dropped by to talk to you man to man, so I can look you squarely in the eye.
- Willoughby Whitfield: No, I'm wearing make-up because of a black eye. A girl hit me in the face with a boiled lobster the moment I mentioned your name.
- Willoughby Whitfield: This same wonderful, intelligent, clear-sighted girl was able to convince me what kind of a person you really are.
- Willoughby Whitfield: I do not hold with your scheme of cheating Mrs. Steinmetz out of her home so that you may build your concrete anthill on the spot where she has known so much happiness. Hm.
- Willoughby Whitfield: I think you are despicable, greedy, grasping, and wholly without principle or pity.
- Willoughby Whitfield: I also believe you are not a nice person.
- Secretary: I'm sorry, Mr. Hawk. I called the motel but they said your nephew checked out.
- Alonzo Hawk: What do you mean he's checked out? When? Where? Who told him he could check out? How dare he disappear when he knows I'm worried sick? I'll tear his chicken-livered gizzard to pieces! I'll stomp him silly! I'll take this letter knife, and I'll stab that kid right in his ungrateful breastbone! You know me Millicent, normally I'm a kindly, fun-loving fellow! But when I get crossed...I go bananas.
- Waiter: The giant lobster is very good tonight, sir. Uh, of course. No lobster.
- Nicole Harris: If I do marry Willoughby, I'd like the satisfaction of nailing him myself!
- Willoughby Whitfield: Please do not send us any more fruit for Christmas.
- Alonzo Hawk: Who're these clowns?
- Secretary: They're your new layers, Mr. Hawk. You fired the others today.
- Alonzo Hawk: Okay, fellas, now I want to tear down the Steinmetz firehouse. Okay?
- Lawyer: Just a moment. Mr. Hawk. Do you have the necessary permit?
- Alonzo Hawk: Of course I don't have a permit! I don't even own the land yet!
- Secretary: Sorry, Mr. Hawk. Such an action would only jeopardize your entire legal standing of your new building. We can't permit...
- Alonzo Hawk: Will you get outta here? I didn't hire you to tell me what I can't do, I hired you to tell me how I could do it! GOOOOOO!
- Willoughby Whitford: Why do you pretend to talk to this car? Some people might wonder.
- Nicole Harris: Don't listen to him, Herbie. Just move it.
- Nicole Harris: Sweet dreams, Herbie.
- Loostgarten: Loostgarten speaking.
- Willoughby Whitford: [imitating Hawk's voice over the telephone] This is Alonzo Hawk.
- Loostgarten: Right, Mr. Hawk.
- Willoughby Whitford: Loostgarten, there's been a slight change in plan. I don't want you to knock down the firehouse tonight. Instead I want you to knock down 343 Oleander Heights. You got that, 343 Oleander Heights?
- Loostgarten: Right.
- Willoughby Whitford: Write it down! I don't want you to be blackballed in the wrecking ball business. If you know what I mean.
- Willoughby Whitford: Let's stop kidding ourselves, okay? This is just an ordinary little car. Like a million other ordinary, rather unattractive...
[Herbie takes off down the road]
- Nicole Harris: I don't think you should've said that. Herbie's very sensitive about his appearance!
- A little SQUIRT makes a big SPLASH!
- The Loveable Bug's back doin' his thing!
- Helen Hayes .... Mrs. Steinmetz
- Ken Berry .... Willoughby Whitfield
- Stefanie Powers .... Nicole Harris Whitfield
- John McIntire .... Mr. Judson
- Keenan Wynn .... Alonzo Hawk
- Huntz Hall .... Judge
- Ivor Barry .... Chauffeur
- Vito Scotti .... Taxi driver
- Liam Dunn .... Doctor
- Elaine Devry .... Secretary
- Chuck McCann .... Loostgarten