A house is a building that functions as a home for humans or other creatures, including simple dwellings ranging from rudimentary huts of nomadic tribes and complex structures composed of many systems.
- Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including . . . housing.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 25.
- If no serious action is taken, [said UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2003] the number of slum dwellers worldwide is projected to rise over the next 30 years to about 2 billion.
- Shelter is a human need ranking in priority with food and water and a home is an essential condition of civilized life. Once these truths are seen, homelessness will be recognized for what it is: an affront to human dignity and the denial of a basic human right.
- Lord Scarman, president of the United Kingdom Council for the International Year of Shelter for the Homeless. The Homeless—Is There a Hope?, Awake! magazine article, 1998 3/8.
- They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
- Isaiah 65: 21-22 NWT
- Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
- Proverbs 24:3-4 KJV