Hud Bannon 
- The only question I ever ask any woman is "What time is your husband coming home?"
- You don't look out for yourself, the only helping hand you'll ever get is when they lower the box.
- Happens to everybody. Nobody gets out of life alive.
- You know something Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.
Homer Bannon 
- It don't take long to kill things, not like it takes to grow.
- You don't care about people Hud, you don't give a damn about 'em. Oh, you got all that charm goin' for ya, and it makes the youngsters want to be like ya. That's the shame of it 'cause you don't value nothin', you don't respect nothin'. You keep no check on your appetites at all. You live just for yourself. And that makes you not fit to live with.
- Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire. You're just going to have to make up your own mind one day about what's right and wrong.
- Homer Bannon: That's your solution for getting out of a tight fix? To pass bad beef on to my neighbors who wouldn't know what they was getting? Or maybe risk starting an epidemic in the entire country?
- Hud Bannon: This country is run on epidemics, where you been? Price fixing, crooked TV shows, inflated expense accounts. How many honest men you know? Why you separate the saints from the sinners, you're lucky to wind up with Abraham Lincoln. Now I want out of this spread what I put into it, and I say let us dip our bread into some of that gravy while it is still hot.
- Homer Bannon: You're an unprincipled young man Hud.
- Hud Bannon: Don't let that worry you none. You got enough for both of us.
- Lonnie Bannon: I wouldn't mind driving her the long way home.
- Hud Bannon: You ought to take a crack at that. Get all the good you can out of seventeen 'cause it sure wears out in one hell of a hurry.
- Hud Bannon: Man like that sounds no better than a heel.
- Alma Brown: Aren't you all?
- Hud Bannon: Honey don't go shooting all the dogs 'cause one of 'em's got fleas.
- Alma Brown: I was married to Ed for six years. Only thing he was ever good for was to scratch my back where I couldn't reach it.
- Hud Bannon: You still got that itch?
- Alma Brown: Off and on.
- Hud Bannon: Well let me know when it gets to bothering you.
- Hud Bannon: Give me a clean white shirt.
- Alma Brown: Boy, you're real big with the "please" and "thank you," aren't you?
- Hud Bannon: Please get up off your lazy butt and get me a clean white shirt. Thank you.
- [Hud has grabbed a rifle and shot at the buzzards]
- Homer Bannon: Don't do that, Hud; they help keep the country clean. Besides, it's against the law.
- Hud Bannon: Well, I've always thought the law was meant to be interpreted in a lenient manner. Sometimes I lean one way and sometimes I lean the other.
- The man with the barbed wire soul!
- After lovin' Hud liked fightin' best...after fightin' Hud liked lovin' best!
- It's truth you will understand!
- Paul Newman - Hud Bannon
- Melvyn Douglas - Homer Bannon
- Patricia Neal - Alma Brown
- Brandon de Wilde - Lon 'Lonnie' Bannon
- John Ashley - Hermy
- Whit Bissell - Mr. Burris