Insomnia (2002 film)
Insomnia is a 2002 film about a detective who suffers insomnia due to the midnight sun and guilt for his misdeeds. He investigates the murder of a 17-year-old girl.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Randy, this whole thing you're doing, you know, this "fuck the world" act, now that might work with your mama. It might even work with a couple of these local cops, who have known you long enough to figure you're too dumb ever to kill anyone without leaving a couple of witnesses and a signed confession. Ain't gonna work with me, because I know things, you understand? I know you beat your girlfriend. I know she was seeing somebody else. Somebody she might have even gone to see after she walked out on you Friday night. Now, you're gonna tell us who that somebody might be? Or are you so fucking stupid, you're going to leave yourself as the last person to see Kay Connell alive?
- You don't get it, do you, Finch? You're my job. You're what I'm paid to do. You're about as mysterious to me as a blocked toilet is to a fucking plumber. Reasons for doing what you did? Who gives a fuck?
- [last words] Let me sleep. Just let me sleep.
- Can't sleep, Will?
- You have no evidence I killed Kay. You only know because I told you what I saw.
- You and I share a secret. We know how easy it is to kill someone. That ultimate taboo. It doesn't exist outside our own minds.
- I didn't murder her. I killed her, but it just ended up that way.
- [last words] You forgot the wild card, Will.
- Hap Eckhart: You tried to kill me? Fuck you!
- Rachel Clement: There are two kinds of people in Alaska: those who were born here and those who come here to escape something. I wasn't born here.
- Fred Duggar: What has two thumbs and likes blowjobs? [Points to himself with both thumbs] This guy!
- Hap Eckhart: We got the Halibut Calabrese, the Halibut Olympian.
- Will Dormer: Keep going.
- Hap Eckhart: Halibut Cajun style.
- Will Dormer: I can't wait to see what they got for dessert.
- [The police are examining Kay Connell's corpse]
- Det. Ellie Burr: Do you think there are others?
- Will Dormer: No, but there's gonna be. You don't come back from this. This guy went over the line and he didn't even blink.
- Det. Ellie Burr: So, I'm gonna just take you guys over to the lodge, and...
- Will Dormer: Just take us to the station.
- Det. Ellie Burr: Right. We need to get started. Most homicides are solved by work done in the first 72 hours.
- Will Dormer: Well, it's 48 hours. We're a day behind. But who's counting?
- Will Dormer: You shouldn't knock misdemeanors.
- Det. Ellie Burr: Oh, but it's small stuff. It gets so boring.
- Will Dormer: It's all about small stuff. You know, small lies, small mistakes. People give themselves away, same in misdemeanors as they do on murder cases. It's just human nature. Aren't you gonna write that down?
- Will Dormer: We better find out where this came from.
- Det. Ellie Burr: I tried. Mrs. Connell doesn't know, her friends didn't know.
- Will Dormer: Have you tried the jewelry stores? Small things, remember? The second you're about to dismiss something, think about it. Look at it again.
- Det. Ellie Burr: Want me to write that down?
- Will Dormer: No, I'll remember it.
- Walter Finch: Killing changes you. It's not guilt — I never meant to do it. It's, like, awareness. Life is so important, how can it be so fucking fragile?
- Will Dormer: You trying to impress me, Finch? Because you've got the wrong guy. You think killing that girl makes you special, but you're not. You're the same distorted, pathetic freak I've been dealing with for 30 years. Do you how many of you I've caught with their pants down?
- Walter Finch: [indignantly] I never touched her like that!
- Will Dormer: But you wanted to, and now you wish you had. The best you could do was clip her nails.
- Det. Ellie Burr: "A good cop can't sleep because he's missing a piece of the puzzle. And a bad cop can't sleep because his conscience won't let him." You said that.
- Will Dormer: [chuckles mirthlessly] Yeah, that sounds like something I would say.
- Will Dormer: Where is she, Finch?
- Walter Finch: She's here and knows you shot Eckhart.
- Will Dormer: Where's the dress?
- Walter Finch: What dress?
- Will Dormer: Ellie's. Kay's
- Walter Finch: She's alive, Will. Ellie!
- [Finch attacks Will]
- Ellie Burr: Don't move! You shot Detective Eckhart and Finch saw you do it. Did you mean to shoot Hap?
- Will Dormer: I don't know anymore. I couldn't see him in the fog. But when I got there, he was afraid of me. He thought I meant to do it. So maybe I did. I just don't know anymore.
- [Burr rushes to comfort a mortally wounded Dormer]
- Det. Ellie Burr: Nobody needs to know. You didn't mean to do it, and I know that, even if you don't.
- [She tries to throw the shell casing into the water, but he stops her]
- Will Dormer: No, don't...
- Det. Ellie Burr: Why?
- Will Dormer: Don't lose your way.
- Al Pacino - Det. Will Dormer
- Robin Williams - Walter Finch
- Hilary Swank - Det. Ellie Burr
- Martin Donovan - Det. Hap Eckhart