It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) is a critically-acclaimed and very popular animated television special, based on the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz. It was the third Peanuts special (and first Halloween special) to be produced and animated by Bill Meléndez. Its initial broadcast took place on October 27th, 1966.
(Linus writes a letter to The Great Pumpkin)
- Linus (writing): Dear Great Pumpkin. I'm looking forward to your arrival on Halloween night. I hope you will bring me lots of presents.
(Charlie Brown arrives)
- Charlie Brown: Who are you writing to, Linus?
- Linus: This is the time of the year to write to the Great Pumpkin. On Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of his pumpkin patch and flies through the air with his bag of toys for all the children.
- Charlie Brown: You must be crazy. When are you going to stop believing in something that isn't true?
- Linus: When you stop believing in that fellow with the red suit and white beard who goes "HO! HO! HO!".
- Charlie Brown: We are obviously separated by denominational differences.
- Linus (writing): You must get discouraged because more people believe in Santa Claus than in you. Well, let's face it, Santa Claus has had more publicity; but being number two, perhaps you try harder.
(Snoopy notices Linus writing his letter and laughs about it; Lucy, on the other hand, is not happy)
- Lucy: Not again! Writing a letter to a stupid pumpkin?! You make me the laughingstock of the neighborhood! All they talk about is my little brother, who always writes to the Great Pumpkin. (grabs him by his shirt) You better cut it out right now or I'll pound you!
- Linus: There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
(Patty walks by and also notices Linus writing the letter)
- Patty: You're wasting your time! The Great Pumpkin is a fake!
- Linus: Everyone tells me you're a fake, but I believe in you. (decides what to write next) P.S. If you really are a fake, don't tell me. I don't want to know.
- Sally: What are you doing, Linus?
- Linus: I'd rather not say. You might laugh.
- Sally: Oh, I'd never laugh at you, Linus. You're so intelligent.
- Linus: I'm writing to the Great Pumpkin.
- Sally: You always say the cutest things.
- Linus: On Halloween night, the 'Great Pumpkin' rises out of the pumpkin patch, then flies through the air to bring toys to all the good little children everywhere. Wouldn't you like to sit with me in the pumpkin patch on Halloween night and wait for the Great Pumpkin?
- Sally: Oh, I'd love to, Linus.
(Charlie Brown is not happy)
- Charlie Brown: What's going on here? What are you trying to do to my little sister? (takes her away)
(Linus goes out to mail his letter, Lucy goes out with him)
- Lucy: And how do you think you're gonna mail that letter? You can't possibly reach the mailbox and I'm not gonna help you.
(Linus uses his blanket to open the mailbox, and lets the letter fly in)
(Lucy, Charlie Brown, and the kids go trick-or-treating and go to the first house)
- Kids: Trick or treat! Money or eats! (though the closed captioning has the second phrase as "Halloween!")
- Lucy (after getting her bag filled): Can I have an extra piece of candy for my stupid brother? He couldn't come with us 'cause he's sitting in a pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin. (gets her extra candy, then the other kids get their bags filled) It's so embarrassing to have to ask for something extra for that blockhead Linus.
(everyone announces what they got in their trick-or-treat bag)
- Lucy: I got five pieces of candy!
- Kid: I got a chocolate bar!
- Another Kid: I got a quarter!
- Charlie Brown: I got a rock.
(they go to the second house)
- Kids: Trick or treat!
(all get their bags filled)
- Kid: I got a candy bar!
- Another Kid: Boy, I got three cookies!
- Lucy: Hey, I got a package of gum!
- Charlie Brown: I got a rock.
(they go to a third house)
- Lucy: Trick or treat.
(gets her bag filled; others not shown)
- Lucy: I got a popcorn ball!
- Kid: I got a fudge bar!
- Another Kid: I got a pack of gum!
- Charlie Brown: I got a rock.
(Linus and Sally are still waiting for the Great Pumpkin)
- Sally: [Sally looks a little guilty] If anyone had told me I'd be waiting in a pumpkin patch on Halloween night, I'd have said they were crazy.
- Linus: Just think, Sally, when the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch, we'll be there to see him.
- Linus: What's that? What's that? I hear the Great Pumpkin!
(more rustling noises, then a silhouette of Snoopy rises)
- Linus: THERE HE IS! THERE HE IS! IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN! HE'S RISING OUT OF THE PUMPKIN PATCH!
- Linus: What happened? Did I faint? What did he leave us? Did he leave us any toys?
- Sally (Sally is on the verge of an angry expression): I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, when I could've been out for tricks-or-treats! (gasps at what she just said) Halloween is over and I missed it! You blockhead! You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, and all that came was a beagle! I didn't get a chance to go out for tricks-or-treats! And it was all your fault! I'll sue! What a fool I was! I could've had candy, apples, and gum! And cookies and money and all sorts of things! But no! I had to listen to you. You blockhead. What a fool I was. Trick-or-treats come only once a year, and I miss it by sitting in a pumpkin patch with a blockhead. (she shakes Linus by his shirt) YOU OWE ME RESTITUTION!
- Linus: You've heard about fury in a woman scorned, haven't you?
- Charlie Brown: Yes, I guess I have.
- Linus: Well, that's nothing compared to the fury of a woman who has been cheated out of tricks-or-treats.
(the other children, including an angry Sally, exit the pumpkin patch and leave Linus all alone)
- Linus: Hey! Aren't you gonna wait and greet the Great Pumpkin? Huh? It won't be long now. If the Great Pumpkin comes, I'll still put in a good word for you! (realizes what he just said) Good grief, I said if! I meant when he comes! I'm doomed. One little slip like that can cause the Great Pumpkin to pass you by. (the camera zooms out to reveal the entire pumpkin patch) OH GREAT PUMPKIN, WHERE ARE YOU?!
- Charlie Brown: Well, another Halloween has come and gone.
- Linus: Yes, Charlie Brown.
- Charlie Brown: I don’t understand it. I went trick-or-treating and all I got was a bag full of rocks! I suppose you spent all night in the Pumpkin Patch. And the Great Pumpkin never showed up?
- Linus: Nope.
- Charlie Brown: Well, don’t take it too hard, Linus. I’ve done a lot of stupid things in my life too.
- Linus: STUPID? WHAT DO YOU MEAN STUPID? Just wait 'til next year, Charlie Brown. You'll see! Next year at this same time, I'll find a pumpkin patch that is real sincere! And I'll sit in that pumpkin patch until the Great Pumpkin appears. He'll rise out of that pumpkin patch and he'll fly through the air with his bag of toys. The Great Pumpkin will appear! And I'll be waiting for him! I'll be there! I'll be sitting there in that pumpkin patch..and I'll see the Great Pumpkin. Just wait and see, Charlie Brown. I'll see that Great Pumpkin. I'll SEE the Great Pumpkin! Just you wait, Charlie Brown. The Great Pumpkin will appear and I'll be waiting for him!"
[Wings Flapping] [Ghostly Moans] [Spooky Laughter] [Whirring]