James G. Watt
- That is the delicate balance the Secretary of the Interior must have: to be steward for the natural resources for this generation as well as future generations. I do not know how many future generations we can count on before the Lord returns; whatever it is we have to manage with a skill to leave the resources needed for future generations.
- Testimony before the House Interior Committee (5 February 1981)
- My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
- The Washington Post (24 May 1981)
- I never use the words Democrats and Republicans. It's liberals and Americans.
- Statement of November 1981, quoted in New York Times (10 October 1983), also quoted in Energy and Environment : The Unfinished Business (1986) by Congressional Quarterly, Inc., p. 91
- We have every mixture you can have. I have a black, a woman, two Jews and a cripple. And we have talent.
- Speaking before the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on September 21, 1983, in reference to members of the U.S. Commission on Fair Market Value Policy for Federal Coal Leasing
- We will mine more, drill more, cut more timber.
- As quoted in Media Transparency 
- Liberals have shifted government into a position of being neutral between right and wrong. By concentrating power in government institutions, liberals chisel at the three pillars of society: the family unit, work ethic and faith. That's not good for America.
- U.S. News and World Report (11 November 1985)
- If the troubles from environmentalists cannot be solved in the jury box or at the ballot box, perhaps the cartridge box should be used.
- As quoted in "The Earth's Storm Troopers", Phoenix New Times (7 August 1991)
- Everything Cheney's saying, everything the president's saying — they're saying exactly what we were saying 20 years ago, precisely ... Twenty years later, it sounds like they've just dusted off the old work.
- Praising George W. Bush's energy and environmental policies "Watt Applauds Bush Energy Strategy", Denver Post (16 May 2001)