Jean-Claude Juncker (born 9 December 1954) is a Luxembourgish politician, the leader of the Christian Social People's Party. He is the Prime Minister of Luxembourg, having succeeded Jacques Santer on 20 January 1995. He is the longest standing head of government with undisputed democratic credentials in the world.
He was Luxembourg's Minister for Finances from 1989 to 2009. He has been President of the Euro Group since the creation of a semi-permanent position in 2005. In his capacity of Prime Minister, he also served two six-month terms as President of the European Council, in 1997 and 2005.
- "I am determined, as is the Government, to do everything to preserve everything that we have worked for and that we believe in ... by using all necessary means to fend off the hostile (bid)."
- "If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue'."
- "The constitutional treaty was an easily understandable treaty. This is a simplified treaty which is very complicated."
- "I am astonished at those who are afraid of the people: one can always explain that what is in the interest of Europe is in the interests of our countries."
"Britain is different. Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?"
"There is a single legal personality for the EU, the primacy of European law, a new architecture for foreign and security policy, there is an enormous extension in the fields of the EU's powers, there is Charter of Fundamental Rights."
- “We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
- When talking about economic reforms.
- "Monetary policy is a serious issue. We should discuss this in secret, in the Eurogroup [...] I'm ready to be insulted as being insufficiently democratic, but I want to be serious [...] I am for secret, dark debates."
- "I don't think Spain will need any kind of external support."
- Jean-Claude Juncker, 17 April 2012. "Eurogroup chief: '"Not if, but when" for Spanish bailout, experts believe'", Reuters, 18 April 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
Quotes on Jean-Claude Juncker 
- I was going to say he's a piece of work, but that might not translate too well. Is that all right, if I call you a 'piece of work'?
- "What they said about the Arcelor bid"; Business Times, Malaysia
- Rennie, David (26 May 2005). "Keep up the pressure for a No vote, Left warned". The Telegraph (UK). Retrieved on 29 June 2011.
- EU leaders hammer out treaty deal. Swissinfo / NZZ (24 June 2007). Retrieved on 2007-06-26.
- L'invité du lundi Jean-Claude Juncker : « Succès objectif, déception atmosphérique », 2 July 2007, Le Soir, 2 July 2007, page 18
- Bruno Waterfield, Brendan Carlin: 'Don't tell British about the EU treaty', Telegraph, 3 July 2007