John Gould Fletcher
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Imagism was not Symbolism, but it proceeds from it
- Three Imagist Poets , The Little Review 1916
- I should strive (on reading a book of poetry) to evoke the a soul out of this piece of inanimate matter,a something characteristic and structural inherent in this organic form which is friendly to me and responds to my mood.
- Preface to Goblins and Pagodas, 1916
- Poetry merely descriptive of nature, however vivid, no longer seems enough for me, there has to be added to it, the human judgement, the human evaluation.
- Life is My Song, John Gould Fletcher, Autobiography, 1937
Preface to Irradiations; Sand and Spray, 1915
- To begin with, the basis of English poetry is rhythm, or, as some would prefer to call it, cadence. This rhythm is obtained by mingling stressed and unstressed syllables.
- It is time to create something new. It is time to strip poetry of meaningless tatters of form, and to clothe her in new, suitable garments.
- It is America's opportunity to lay the foundations for a new flowering of English verse, and to lay them as broad as they are strong.