- [My] publicity agent ... went to hear Father Divine and he had a sermon and his subject was 'you got to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative.' And I said 'Wow, that's a colorful phrase!'
- You got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
E-lim-i-nate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative.
Don't mess with mister inbetween.
- From Natchez to Mobile, from Memphis to St. Joe, wherever the four winds blow
I been in some big towns an' heard me some big talk, but there is one thing I know
A woman's a two-face, a worrisome thing who'll leave ya to sing the blues in the night.
- Song Blues in the Night
- The days of wine and roses laugh and run away like a child at play
Through the meadow land toward a closing door
A door marked "nevermore" that wasn't there before
- Song The Days of Wine and Roses
- Shine little glow-worm, glimmer, glimmer.
Shine little glow-worm, glimmer, glimmer.
Lead us lest too far we wander.
Love's sweet voice is calling yonder.
- Song The Glow-Worm
- So you met someone who set you back on your heels - goody, goody
You met someone and now you know how it feels - goody, goody
- Song Goody, Goody
Have you seen a valley green with Spring
Where my heart can go a-journeying,
Over the shadows in the rain
To a blossom covered lane?
And in your lonely flight,
Haven't you heard the music in the night,
Faint as a will-o-the-wisp,
Crazy as a loon,
Sad as a gypsy serenading the moon.
- Song "Skylark" (1942)
- I remember too, a distant bell...
and stars that fell...
like the rain
out of the blue.
- Song "I Remember You" (1941)
- When my life is through
And the angels ask me to recall
The thrill of them all
Then I shall tell them
I remember you
- Song I Remember You
- Cigarette holder,
which wigs me,
over her shoulder
she digs me:
that Satin Doll.
- Song "Satin Doll" (1953)
- There's a long goodbye,
and it happens every day,
when a passerby
invites your eye
to come away.
Even as you smile a quick hello
you let her go,
you let the moment fly...
Too late you turn your head,
you know you've said
the Long Goodbye.
- Song "The Long Goodbye" (1973)
- I know all the songs that the cowboys know
'bout the big corral where the doggies go,
'Cause I learned them all on the radio.
Yippie yi yo kayah
- Song I'm an old Cowhand