Jude is a 1996 English film, based on the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, about of a stonemason pursuing the cousin he loves even though both are married.
His world could never change... Until she became his world. Taglines
- Directed by Michael Winterbottom. Screenplay written by Hossein Amini; Based on the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy.
Sue Bridehead 
- Haven't we been punished enough?
- Please don't call me a clever girl, Mr Phillotson, there are too many of us these days.
- [Sue has just spurned Jude again] Promise me you'll never stop trying.
- It's right that I suffer.
- They locked me up for being out with you, so I jumped out of the window, climbed over a fence, crossed the deepest river in England and here I am!
- You're still Joseph, the dreamer of dreams. And the tragic Don Quixote. Sometimes you are a St. Stephen, who sees Heaven open up, even as they're stoning him.
Jude Fawley 
- [last lines] We are man and wife, if ever were two people on this earth.
- Sue Bridehead: Why are you looking at me like that?
- Jude Fawley: Does it scare you?
- Sue Bridehead: No. I am not afraid of any man.
- Jude Fawley: Why?
- Sue Bridehead: Because no man would touch a woman unless she gives him a reason to. A touch or a look that say come on. If you never look, they'll never come. You are the timid sex.
- Sue Bridehead: I would have liked to have talked with her before she died.
- Jude Fawley: She would have enjoyed that.
- Sue Bridehead: What did she say?
- Jude Fawley: She said we both make bad husbands and wives.
- Sue Bridehead: Do I irritate you?
- Jude Fawley: No.
- Sue Bridehead: Even though I'm always trying to prove how cleverer than you I am.
- Jude Fawley: You are!
- Sue Bridehead: Don't say that!
- Jude Fawley: Why not?
- Sue Bridehead: Because it's not the sort of thing you should admit to!
- Jude Fawley: Even if it's true?
- His world could never change... Until she became his world.
- A time without pity. A society without mercy. A love without equal.
- It is a difficult question to answer... Whether to follow your dreams... Or to let life lead you where it will.
- It is a difficult question for any man to answer... Whether to follow his dreams no matter what... Or to give in slowly and let life lead you where it will.
Major cast 
External links