Lady and the Tramp
Lady and the Tramp is a 1955 animated feature produced by Walt Disney, first released to movie theatres in the United States on June 22, 1955. The 15th animated feature in the Disney animated features canon, the film is adapted from a story by Ward Greene, Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog, published in 1937.
The story centers around a female American Cocker Spaniel named Lady who lives with a refined, upper middle-class family, and a male stray mutt called the Tramp. A direct-to-video sequel, Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure was released on February 27, 2001.
- Jim Dear: [giving Darling a hatbox] It's for you, Darling. Merry Christmas.
- Darling: Oh, Jim Dear. It's the one I was admiring, isn't it? Trimmed with ribbons?
- Jim Dear: Well, it *has* a ribbon.
[the box is opened; inside is a cocker spaniel pup wearing a ribbon]
- Darling: Oh, how sweet.
- Jim Dear: Ya like her, Darling?
- Darling: [hugging the puppy] Oh, I love her. What a perfectly beautiful little Lady. [Jim Dear itching Lady's chin]
- Jock: Now, ah, you see, lassie, neither of is as young as we used to be.
- Trusty: But we're still in the prime of life.
- Jock: And we've both got VERY comfortable homes.
- Si and Am: [sing] We are Siamease, if you please! We are Siamease if you don't please!
- Lady: Well, I first noticed it the other day when Jim Dear came home.
[the Tramp whistles at the police officer, then barks]
- Police officer: Hey, you!
- Professor: Uh, I beg your pardon? Were you addressing me?
- Police officer: What's the matter?! [shows the professor the "no dogs allowed" sign] Can't you read?!
- Professor: Why, yes. Several languages.
- Police officer: Oh, a wise guy, eh? All right, now... [points to the Tramp] ...what's this creature doing here?
- Tramp: [barks at the police officer]
- Professor: He's not my dog. [the Tramp jumps into the professor's arms]
- Police officer: Oh, he's not, eh?! [the Tramp barks at the police officer]
- Professor: Let go! Go on! Why, certainly not, officer.
- Police officer: Aw, and I suppose you'll be telling me next that it was the dog that was whistling, eh?!
- Professor: I-I-I'm certain I don't know.
- Police officer: Oh, so, I'm a liar now, am I?!
- Professor: [angrily] Well, YOU listen to me!
- Police officer: AHA! Resisting an officer of the law! [the Tramp tears off the back of the professor's jacket, to provoke him into getting into trouble with the police officer] Oh, you're gonna pay! [the Tramp bites the police officer's buttocks] OW!! Pull a knife on me, would you?! Trying to assassinate me, are you?! Carrying a concealed weapon! [the police officer and professor's fight makes some nearby elephants, lions, and giraffes think the police officer and the professor have gone crazy as they watch the fight from their exhibits]
- Tramp: [continues barking, then to Lady] Come on, Pidge. The place is ours. [he enters the zoo with Lady, as the police officer and the professor continue fighting]
- Tramp: Say, Al! Do you suppose you can nip this contraction off of us?
- Al: Glad to oblige. [echoes throughout his cage]
- Tramp: Whoa, WHOA!!!! [Al almost chomps Lady, but the Tramp saves her. Cut to a hyena who is laughing in his cage, as elephants and lions are heard offscreen]
- Tony: [to Lady and the Tramp in an Italian accent] Now-a, first-a we fix-a the table-a.
- Joe: Here are-a you bones-a, Tony! [comes with a pan of bones]
- Tony: OK-a, bones-a. [look in confusion then hits the pan of bones in the air] BONES-A?! What's-a the matter-a for-a you-a, Joe?! I [rolls an R] break-a you face-a! And-a tonight-a, Butch-a, he gets-s the best-a in-a the house-a!
- Joe: OK, Tony. You the boss-a. [sashays into the kitchen to cook Lady and the Tramp something fancy]
- Trusty: [unintentionally mocking Lady] Why, some of them finest people I ever tracked down were them jailbirds.
- Jock: [angrily] QUIET!!!! [Trusty in fright hits his head onto the dog house] You great looney!!!!
- Tramp: [looks into a pet shop window and sees several adorable puppies playing and rolling around until one of them walks closer to him at it] Ah, cute little rascals! [the puppy yips happily] A-ciccy-ciccy-ciccy-coo!
- Lady's Daughters: [in unison] No, you haven't, Uncle Trusty.