Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania
- It is like a wide embrace gathering all those who have long searched for words of hope… Saddened by the continual strife amongst believers of many confessions and wearied of their intolerance towards each other, I discovered in the Bahá'í teaching the real spirit of Christ so often denied and misunderstood.
- qtd. in Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By (1944)
- I have met [a proselytizer from a religious group]. I did not like him. He seemed to me to be a snob. He spoke of God as if He were the oldest title in the Almanach de Gotha. And all that business about telling one's sins in public -- He wanted me ... me ... to get up before my children and confess everything I had ever done! It is spiritual nudism! Ça se ne fait pas.
- qtd. in Beverely Nichols, All I Could Never Be (1952)
- Romania needs a face, and I will be that face.
- On her participation in the Treaty of Versailles negotiations
- Fashion exists for women with no taste, etiquette for people with no breeding.
- Perhaps you will find me more agreeable.
- When Georges Clemenceau said "I don't like your Prime Minister" at the Versailles Peace Talks of 1919
- Lately I have been living in a world which I no more understand & which has become very lonely; Ileana married, Sitta gone, Nicky banished, but I struggle on. I look beaten but am I really beaten? I was always a good fighter, you remember. But fight against one's own flesh & blood?
- In a letter to her cousin George V of the United Kingdomin the 1930s. "Ileana" refers to her youngest daughter, "Sitta" to her daughter in law (Princess Helen of Greece) and "Nicky" to her son Prince Nicholas of Romania.
- He kicks against tradition and restrictions without realising that tradition made him, is his raison d'etre.
- On Edward, Prince of the Wales, the future King Edward VIII.
- One is always afraid of upsetting their conventionalities.
- Said during a visit to her cousin, George V and his wife Queen Mary.
About her 
- Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea,
And love is a thing that can never go wrong
And I am Marie of Roumania.
- Dorothy Parker, "Comment"