Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers. Marketing might sometimes be interpreted as the art of selling products, but selling is only a small fraction of marketing. As the term "Marketing" may replace "Advertising" it is the overall strategy and function of promoting a product or service to the customer.
- You can tell the values of a nation by its advertisements.
- Norman Douglas (1868-1952), South Wind (1917)
- An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
- Fred Allen (1894-1957), Treadmill to Oblivion (1954)
- Ads are the cave art of the twentieth century.
- Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980), Culture Is Our Business (1970)
- Society drives people crazy with lust and calls it advertising.
- John Lahr (1941- ), The Guardian (August 1989)
- By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing...kill yourself...you're the ruiner of all things good...you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage...kill yourself.
- Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994), "Revelations" (1992)
- Marketing is the art of making something seem better than it really is.
- Suso Banderas (1976- ), Randomsig sample sigquotes (2000)
- Life's too short to sell things you don't believe in.
- Patrick Dixon (1957- ), Building a Better Business (2005)
- In Marketing there are those who satisfy needs and those who create wants.
- Juan Carlos Castillo (1974- ), Marketing in Action (2005)
- Marketing is inherently about producing results - either financial or otherwise.
- Geoff Smith (1962- ), VantagePoint Marketing (2005)
- You cannot Adhere to the Teachings of the Church on Sunday and not Apply to the Marketplace