Michael Wayne Godwin (born October 26, 1956) is an American attorney and author. He was the first staff counsel of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and was general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation between July 2007 and October 2010.
- As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
- The decisions we make about the Internet don't affect just the Internet – they are answers to basic questions about the relationship each citizen has to the government and about the extent to which we trust one another with the full range of fundamental rights granted by the Constitution.
- The remedy for the abuse of free speech is more speech.
- Cyber Rights — cited in DeCandido, GraceAnne A. (August 1998). "Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age". Booklist 94 (22).
- Striking a balance in favor of individual rights has always been the right decision for us and that it remains so even when technology gives us new ways to exercise those rights. Individual liberty has never weakened us; freedom of speech, enhanced by the Net, will only make us stronger.
- Cyber Rights — cited in Kim, June (Summer 2004). "Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age". Law Library Journal 96 (3): 542–544.
- Let today be the first day of a new American Revolution - a Digital Revolution, a revolution built not on blood and conflict, but on language and reason and our faith in each other.