Quotes about oil
- The world petroleum story is one of the most inhuman known to man: in it, elementary moral and social principles are jeered at. If powerful oil trusts no longer despoil and humiliate our country it is not because these predators have become human, but because we have won a hard-fought battle which has been going on since the beginning of the century.
- Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, The Shah's Story (1980), page 59
- "Moses dragged us through the desert for 40 years to bring us to the one place in the Middle East where there was no oil." ~ Golda Meir
- "The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun." ~ Ralph Nader
- "Overdrafts on aquifers are one reason some of our geologist colleagues are convinced that water shortages will bring the human population explosion to a halt. There are substitutes for oil; there is no substitute for fresh water." ~ Paul R. Ehrlich
- "Nobody thinks the United States went to strike against Iraq in order to gain land or water or oil, nobody thinks America has any ambitions about real estate." ~ Shimon Peres
- "This morning, prompted by increasing concerns about terrorism, oil prices reached a record high as the cost of a barrel of crude is a whopping $44.34. Wow, it seems shocking that a product of finite supply gets more expensive the more we use it.... Now the terror alert means higher oil prices, which oddly enough means higher profits for oil companies giving them more money to give to politicians whose policies may favor the oil companies such as raising the terror alert level. As Simba once told us — it's the circle of life." ~ Jon Stewart
- "So when you go up against the Far Right you go up against the big financial special interests like the Halliburtons of the world, the big oil companies, the big energy companies who work so hard to rip us off." ~ Barbara Boxer
- "This war has been motivated by pride or arrogance, by a desire to control oil wealth, by a desire to implant our programs." ~ Jimmy Carter
- "No young American should be held hostage to America's dependence on oil" ~ John Kerry
- "The House okayed the gasoline tax cut, which will increase the deficit, line the pockets of the oil companies, and hurt the environment; Dole said that if there was just some way this could interfere with people's sex lives, it would be perfect legislation." ~ Bill Maher
- "This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed— for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started the war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child-President, has been chosen by Fate and the global Oil industry to finish it Now." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
- "I'm not dependent on oil. I can quit whenever I want. ~ Green Party (Sweden)"