One Hour Photo
One Hour Photo is a 2002 American psychological thriller, written and directed by Mark Romanek and starring Robin Williams. Fox Searchlight Pictures distributed the movie in the United States. One Hour Photo also starred Connie Nielsen, Michael Vartan, Gary Cole and Eriq La Salle. Williams won a Saturn Award for Best Actor (2003) for his work in the film.
- No one takes photographs of something they want to forget.
- According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
- Pretend thi is all pretend.
- [while stalking the Yorkins] What the hell is wrong with these people?
- Most people don't take snapshots of the little things. The used Band-Aid, the guy at the gas station, the wasp on the Jell-O. But these are the things that make up the true picture of our lives. People don't take pictures of these things.
- And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture.
- I've been doing P.O.S. mini-lab work for over 20 years now. I consider it an important job. When people's houses are on fire, what's the first thing they save after their pets and their loved ones are safe? The family photos. Some people think that this is a job for a clerk. They actually believe that any idiot that attends a two-day seminar can master the art of making beautiful prints in less than an hour. Of course, like most things, there's far more to it than meets the eye. I've seen the prints they fop off on people at the Rexall or Fotek, milky washed out prints, too dark prints. There's no sense of reverence for the service they're providing for people. I process these photos as if they were my own.
- Sy Parrish: You're a very lucky man, Mr. Yorkin. You have a beautiful family, and if I may say so a beautiful home, too.
- Will: [very uncomfortable] Uh, thanks. Thank you, Sy. But I really have to get my shopping done.
- Sy Parrish: [oblivious] Sure.
- [Bill has just caught Sy stealing prints]
- Bill Owens: Look, Sy, I got a family. I'm not losing my job over this. I'm letting you go.
- Sy Parrish: No! Ohhh...
- Bill Owens: These log discrepancies would be enough, but you've been spacing out on the job, taking 90-minute lunch breaks, creating scenes in front of the customers... giving away free merchandise.
- Sy Parrish: What?
- Bill Owens: Free disposable cameras to customers on their birthday? That must have been your bright idea. Sure as shit isn't company policy.
- Sy Parrish: You can't do this.
- Bill Owens: It's done, Sy. I talked to Sims at district. Now you finish out the week and clear out your locker. And if you do something like fuck up today's prints...
- Sy Parrish: I haven't fucked up a customer's prints in 11 years!
- Bill: Sy, there's a thousand other places where you can do your photos. There's no reason to come all the way down other than to fuck with me.
- Sy Parrish: There's a very good reason. I calibrated that machine personally. It's the best mini-lab in the state.
- Sy Parrish: Are you a family man, Detective?
- Detective Van Der Zee: That's none of your business, Sy.
- Sy Parrish: You're right, it's not. But I can see by your response and the ring on your finger that you are. That makes you a fortunate man. I can also tell be the way you've treated me so far that you're a good man, and that you appreciate your good fortune. You're not the kind of man who would cheat on his wife, hurt his family, abuse their trust. [pause] You would never neglect or abuse your children. [chokes up] Make horrible demands of them. You would never ask... You would never ask your children to do things... things that children shouldn't do. [crying] You would never take disgusting, sick, degrading pictures of your children doing these things! You would never treat your children like animals. [calms down a little] Will Yorkin had it all and he threw it away. He is not a good father.
- Detective Van Der Zee: I...well, I think I understand now, Sy. Thank you for talking so candidly with me.
- Sy Parrish: You're welcome. Could I have my pictures now?
- He knows your name, He knows your life, He knows where you live
- Robin Williams as Seymour "Sy" Parrish
- Michael Varatan as Will Yorkin
- Connie Nielsen as Nina Yorkin
- Dylan Smith as Jake Yorkin
- Gary Cole as Bill Owens, Manager
- Erin Daniels as Maya Burson
- Eriq La Salle as Det. James Van Der Zee
- Clark Gregg as Det. Paul Outerbridge
- Paul H. Kim as Yoshi Araki