Palaniappan Chidambaram (பழனியப்பன் சிதம்பரம்) (born 16 September 1945) is an Indian politician and present Union Minister of Home Affairs| of the Republic of India. He is among the most prominent cabinet ministers of the ruling-United Progressive Alliance (UPA) union government led by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. From May 2004 to November 2008, he was the Finance Minister of India. After the resignation of Shivraj Patil, Chidambaram was made the Home Affairs Minister.
(about the 2009 Lahore attack on Sri Lankan cricket team)
- This is complete rubbish. They did this a month and a half ago when there was another incident.We want peace in South Asia. We want no terror in South Asia. We don't export terror. We have zero tolerance for terror whether it is within India or outside India.Pakistan is only taking half measures in the fight against terrorism. Pakistan is paying the price for not heeding our advice.
- Naqvi, Jawed (2009-03-05). "Chidambaram denies Indian link to Lahore attack". Retrieved on 2009-03-05.
- It (Pakistan) is not a failed state, but it is threatening to become one.A great concern is weighing on our minds. In Pakistan, with regret, I would say we don't know who is in control there. Whether it is the army or the president or the government
- It is shocking, It is quite obvious that security of the Sri Lankan players has been hopelessly inadequate. We condemn the shooting and we hope that players like Samaraweera and Mendis are safe and will recover.
- "Security of Sri Lankan players hopelessly inadequate: Chidambaram". Times of India (Times of India). 3 March 2009. Retrieved on 3 March 2009.