Peter Pan (1953 film)
Peter Pan is an animated film based on J. M. Barrie's play of the same name, first released in February 1953 by the Disney Studios. It follows the Darling children as they encounter Peter Pan, the main character of one of their favorite bedtime stories, and the adventures they have when he takes them to his magical home: Neverland.
- Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske. Written by Milt Banta, J.M. Barrie (play), William Cottrell, Winston Hibler, Bill Peet, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ted Sears, Ralph Wright
- Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
- What a pity, Mr. Smee. I'm afraid we've lost the dear Captain.
- Don't you understand, Tink? You mean more to me than anything in this whole world!
- [repeated line while being chased by the crocodile] SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
- [to Smee before he leaves] You will go ashore, pick up Tinkerbell, and bring her to me. [drops Smee] UNDERSTAND???!!!
- George: Wendy, haven’t I warned you? Stuffing the boys' heads with a lot of silly stories.
- Wendy: Oh, but they aren't.
- George: I say they are. Captain Crook, Peter Pirate...
- Wendy: Peter Pan, Father.
- George: Pan, pirate, poppycock! Absolute poppycock!
- Mary: But, George, do you think the children will be safe without Nana?
- George: Safe? Of course they'll be safe. Why not?
- Mary: Well, Wendy said something about a shadow, and I...
- George: Shadow? Whose shadow?
- Mary: Peter Pan's.
- George: Oh, Peter Pan...Peter Pan?! You don't say! [high, mocking voice] Goodness gracious! Whatever shall we do?!
- Mary: But, George...
- George: [normal voice] Sound the alarm!
- Mary: Really, I...
- George: Call Scotland Yard!
- Wendy: I'm so glad you came back tonight. I might never have seen you.
- Peter: Why?
- Wendy: Because I have to grow up tomorrow.
- Peter: Grow up?!
- Wendy: Tonight's my last night in the nursery.
- Peter: But that means no more stories!
- Wendy: Mm-hmm.
- Peter: No! I won't have it! Come on!
- Smee: Oh, dear, dear, dear, Captain Hook. Shooting a man in the middle of his cadenza? That ain't good form, you know.
- Hook: "Good form," Mr. Smee? Blast good form! [waves his hook in front of Smee] Did Pan show good form when he did this to me?!
- Smee: Why, Captain, cutting your hand off was only a childish prank, you might say.
- Hook: Aye! But throwing it to that crocodile! That cursed beast liked the taste of me so well he's followed me ever since, licking his chops for the rest of me.
- Indian Chief: For many moons red man fight paleface Lost Boys.
- Lost Boys: Ugh!
- Chief: Sometime you win, sometime we win.
- Cubby: Okay, Chief. Uh, you win this time. Now turn us loose.
- John Darling: Turn us loose? You mean this is only a game?
- Slightly: Sure. When we win we turn them loose.
- Twin #1: When they win, they turn us loose.
- Twin #2: They turn us loose.
- Chief: This time no turnum loose.
- Lost Boys: Huh?
- Slightly: The chief's a great spoofer.
- Chief: Me no spoofum! Where you hide Princess Tiger Lily?!
- Cubby: Tiger Lily?
- Slightly: We ain't got your ol' princess!
- John: I certainly never seen her.
- [the other boys agree]
- Chief: Heap big lie. If Tiger Lily not back by sunset, burnum at stake!
- Smee: Well, at last, Captain Hook's comin' to his senses.
- Hook: [surprised] Odd's fish!
- Smee: [to Tiger Lily] I told him all along you Indians wouldn't betray Peter Pan.
- Hook: [kindly] And just what do you think you are doing, Mr. Smee?
- [he stops the rowboat from moving by placing his foot on it]
- Smee: Just what you told me, Captain: carrying out your orders.
- Hook: My orders?
- Smee: Why, yes, Captain. Didn't you just say to go...
- Hook: [shoves the boat back into Skull Rock] Put her back, you blithering idiot! [to himself] My orders. Of all the bumbling...
- Peter: [impersonates Hook] Mr. Smee! Just exactly what do you think you are doing?
- Smee: Putting her back like you said, Captain.
- Peter: I said nothing of the sort!
- Smee: (stammers) But captain...!
- Peter: (whilst the real Hook creeps up to him unbeknownst) For the last time, Mr. Smee, take the princess back to her people! UNDERSTAND!?!?!?!?!?!?! (echoes)
- Smee: Aye-aye, sir.
- Peter: Oh, and one more thing: When you return to the ship, tell the whole crew to help themselves to me best rum.
- [Wendy has walked the plank, and Peter saves her, unbeknownst to Hook and his pirates]
- Mr. Starkey: No splash, Captain.
- Hook: So, you want a splash, Mr. Starkey? I'll give you a splash! [throws Starkey overboard] Who's next?!
- Peter: You're next, Hook! This time you've gone too far!
- Hook: Fly! Fly! Fly! You coward!
- Peter: Coward?! Me?
- Hook: Ha-ha-ha! You wouldn't dare fight old Hook man-to-man. You'd fly away like a cowardly sparrow!
- Peter: Nobody calls Pan a coward and lives! I'll fight you man-to-man, with one hand behind my back.
- Hook: You mean you won't fly?
- Wendy: No, don't, Peter! It's a trick!
- Peter: I give my word, Hook.
- Hook: Good! Then let's have at it!
- Hook: You wouldn't do old Hook in now, would you, lad? I'll go away forever. (cries) I'll do anything you say!
- Peter: Well, all right. If ya... Say you're a codfish.
- Hook: [gulp] I'm a codfish.
- Peter: Louder!
- Hook: I'M A CODFISH!!!
- Wendy and the boys: HOORAY! [all sing] Hook is a codfish!
- A codfish.
- A codfish.
- Hook is a codfish!
- A codfish.
- A codfish.
- Peter: All right, Hook. You're free to go and never return.
- Peter: Well, well! A codfish on a hook!
- Hook: I'll get you for this, Pan, if it's the last thing I do!
"What Makes the Red Man Red?"
The Indians' light-hearted musical number has in more recent times come under fire for its depiction of Native Americans.
- Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"
- In the Injun book it say
When first brave married squaw
He gave out with heap big "Ugh!"
When he saw his mother-in-law.
- It will live in your heart forever!
- Bobby Driscoll - Peter Pan (voice)
- Kathryn Beaumont - Wendy Darling (voice)
- Hans Conried - Captain Hook/George Darling (voice)
- Bill Thompson - Mr. Smee/Other Pirates (voice)
- Heather Angel - Mary Darling (voice)
- Paul Collins - John Darling (voice)
- Tommy Luske - Michael Darling (voice)
- Candy Candido - Indian Chief (voice)
- Tom Conway - Narrator (voice)
- Return to Never Land, the 2002 sequel