Richard Paul Ashcroft (born 11 September 1971 in Billinge Higher End, England) is an English musician, singer and songwriter. He was the lead singer and occasional guitarist of alternative rock band The Verve from their formation in 1990 until their split in 1999, and continues as a lead vocalist working with guitars and keyboards. He became a successful solo artist in his own right, releasing three UK top three solo albums. The Verve reformed in 2007 but again broke up by summer 2009. Ashcroft then founded a new band, RPA & The United Nations of Sound, and released a new album on 19 July 2010.
A Storm in Heaven (1993)
- If trees cut stars and eyes to heaven
I'll bend them back, I'll bend them again
If my skin looks tired and old from living
I'll turn right back and live it again
- Already There
A Northern Soul (1995)
- I wander lonely streets
behind where the old Thames does flow
And in every face I meet
reminds me of what I have run for
Urban Hymns (1997)
- Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony, that's life
Try to make ends meet
you're a slave to money then you die.
No change, I can change
I can change, I can change
But I'm here in my mold
I am here in my mold
and I'm a million different people
from one day to the next
I can't change my mould, no, no, no, no, no...
- You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet, yeah.
- It’s just sex and violence, melody and silence.
- Eyes open wide, looking at the heavens with a tear in my eye.
- Yes, there's love if you want it. Don't sound like no sonnet, my lord.
- Sinking faster than a boat without a hull.
- And with a drugstore wife, I was dealing, sold a bit of the white, I don't shake no hands 'cause death has no fans.