On the topic of Seccessionism
- I think there's a lot of different scenarios. Texas is a unique place. When we came in the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that. You know, my hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We've got a great union. There is absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what may come out of that?
- ask by AP reporter about being associated with Texas secession at Austin Tea Party rally, 2009-04-15
- Rick Perry / Austin Tea Party : On Secession and "Right Wing Extremism", YouTube, 15 April 2009
On the topic of his mentors
- I count my time working for Dortch Oldham as one of the most important formative experiences of my life... There is nothing that tests your commitment to a goal like getting a few doors closed in your face. Mr. Oldham taught legions of young people to communicate quickly, clearly and with passion, a lesson that has served me well in my life since then.
- Wood, E. Thomas (27 February 2009), "Dortch Oldham dies at 89", Nashville Post
On the topic of natural and other disasters
- We don't know what the event that has allowed for this massive oil to be released. And until we know that, I hope we don't see a knee-jerk reaction across this country that says we're going to shut down drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, because the cost to this country will be staggering.
- From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are acts of God that cannot be prevented.
On the topic of U.S. Presidents
- George W. Bush did a incredible job in the presidency, defending us from freedom.
- Embry, Jason (4 November 2010), "Perry sits down with Meredith Vieira", First Reading (Austin Statesman)
- It's a good issue to keep alive. It's fun to poke at him.
- I'm really not worried about the president's birth certificate. It's fun to poke at him a little bit and say, how 'bout let's see your grades and your birth certificate.
- CNBC interview, 2011-10-25, quoted in Johnson, Luke (25 October 2011), "Rick Perry: Obama Birth Certificate 'A Good Issue To Keep Alive' (Video)", The Huffington Post
- on President Obama's birth certificate
- I am a firm believer in intelligent design as a matter of faith and intellect, and I believe it should be presented in schools alongside the theories of evolution.
- "2010 The Vote: K-12 Education", San Angelo Times, 11 September 2010
- Juarez is reported to be the most dangerous city in America.
- 2011-02-28, quoted in Barr, Andy (1 March 2011), "Texas-sized gaffe: Rick Perry says Juarez is 'in America'", Politico
- I think in America from time to time we have to go through some difficult times — and I think we're going through those difficult economic times for a purpose, to bring us back to those Biblical principles of you know, you don't spend all the money. You work hard for those six years and you put up that seventh year in the warehouse to take you through the hard times. And not spending all of our money. Not asking for Pharaoh to give everything to everybody and to take care of folks because at the end of the day, it's slavery. We become slaves to government.
- Diamond, Marie (13 June 2011), "Gov. Perry: Economic Crisis Is Part of God's Plan To Return Us To Biblical Principles", Think Progress
On the topic of Education
- I don't think the federal government has a role in your children's education.
- Millhiser, Ian; Keyes, Scott (16 August 2011), "Rick Perry: 'I Don't Think The Federal Government Has A Role' In Education", Think Progress
- posed question: "I would like to know your position on the federal government's role in my children's education."
- If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I dunno what y'all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly, down in Texas. I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treacherous—or treasonous in my opinion.
- How old do I think the earth is? You know what? I don't have any idea. I know it's pretty old, so it goes back a long, long way. I'm not sure anybody actually knows completely and absolutely how long, how old the earth is. I hear your mom was asking about evolution. You know, it's a theory that's out there. It's got some gaps in it, but in Texas we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools, because I figured you're smart enough to figure out which one is right.
- Drum, Kevin (18 August 2011), "Quote of the Day: How Old is the Earth?", Mother Jones
- to a 9-year-old boy
- Is it the Mitt Romney that was on the side of — against the Second Amendment before he was for the Second Amendment? Was it — was before — he was before the social programs from the standpoint of — he was for standing up for Roe v. Wade before he was against first — Roe v. Wade?
- Republican presidential debate, 2011-09-22
- I disagree with the concept that somehow or another we're going to pack up 10, to 12, to 15 million people and ship them back to the country of origin. That's not going to happen. So reality has to be part of our conversation. And then you need to have a strategy to deal with it. That is what I think we will have, but first you have to secure that border.
- Thompson, Dana (3 November 2011), "Perry supports work visas for illegal immigrants", Houston Chronicle
- I will tell you: It's three agencies of government, when I get there, that are gone: Commerce, Education and the — what's the third one there? Let's see. — OK. So Commerce, Education and the — The third agency of government I would — I would do away with the Education, the — Commerce and — let's see — I can't. The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops.
- Republican presidential debate, 2011-11-09
- My policy will be to detain and deport every illegal alien who is apprehended in this country. And we'll do it with an expedited hearing process so that millions of illegal aliens are not released into the general population with some hearing date down the road.
- McLure, Jason (29 November 2011), "Perry says will deport all detained illegal immigrants", Reuters
- I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know that there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.
- Campaign advertisement, December 2011
- Well obviously if you have a country that is being ruled by what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists, when you start to see that type of activity against their own citizens, then yes; not only is it time for us to have a conversation about whether or not they belong to be in NATO, but it's time for the United States when we look at their foreign aid, to go to zero with it.
- On whether Turkey should be part of NATO GOP Presidential debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina-01.16.2012, YouTube, 16 January 2012
On the topic of military heroes
- Audie Murphy remains a shining example for anyone who believes in the importance of service, for generations now and into the future.
- Upon awarding the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor posthumously to Audie Murphy, the most highly decorated American soldier of World War II.[specific citation needed]