Sands of Iwo Jima
- My name is Stryker, Sergeant John M. Stryker. You're gonna be my squad - a rifle squad. Three of us have seen action: Corporal Dunn, Charlie Bass, and myself. You're gonna learn from us. In boot camp, you learned out of a book. Out here, you gotta remember the book and learn a thousand things that have never been printed, probably never will be. You gotta learn right and you gotta learn fast. And any man that doesn't want to cooperate, I'll make him wish he hadn't been born. Before I'm through with you, you're gonna move like one man and think like one man. If you don't, you'll be dead. Now, you guys have had a nice, easy day. I hope you enjoyed it because it's the last one you're gonna get for a long time. You joined the Marines because you wanted to fight. Well, you're gonna get your chance, and I'm here to see that you know how. If I can't teach you one way, I'll teach ya another. But I'm gonna get the job done. Any questions? That's all.
- Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
PFC Al Thomas
- You know, my natural dislike for you is turning into a great hatred, Bass.
- Officer: [giving the pre-invasion briefing] Now, nobody knows exactly what they've got on this island, but they've had forty years to put it there.
- Sgt. Stryker: Grenade. Hit the deck.
- [the platoon runs, except for Conway, who is reading a love letter and has to be tackled to safety by Stryker when the grenade goes off]
- Sgt. Stryker: You idiot. When are you gonna wake up? You wanna see that dame again, keep your mind on your work.
- PFC Al Thomas: You may not know this, boy, but you just got your life saved.
- PFC Charlie Bass: Don't do it. Just this once, don't do it.
- Sgt. Stryker: Don't do what?
- PFC Charlie Bass: Don't get blind, staggerin' stinkin' falling down drunk.
- Sgt. Stryker: Charlie, nobody sets out to get blind, staggerin' stinkin' falling down drunk.
- PFC Charlie Bass: Yeah, some people do.
- PFC Al Thomas: That's war.
- PFC Charlie Bass: What's war?
- PFC Al Thomas: Trading real estate for men.
- '[During the night the squad is guarding a trenchline amid and hears faint voice can be heard calling "Corpsman."]
- PFC Benny Regazzi: [whispering] Stryker!
- Sgt. Stryker: [whispering] Get down! Stay down! You have your orders, don't move!
- PFC Peter Conway: [whispering] There's somebody wounded out there. Let's go get him!
- Sgt. Stryker: Stay down, it might be a Jap trick, they pulled it off plenty of times at Guadalcanal.
- PFC Peter Conway: That doesn't sound like a Jap to me!
- Sgt. Stryker: I don't care what it sounds like to you! You stick your head up, you'll tip our position.
- [the voice resumes, and now they recognize it as Bass]
- PFC Charlie Bass: Stryker!
- PFC Peter Conway: That's Bass. How many Japs know your name, Stryker?
- Alone and outnumbered, they had one thing in their favor... the American dream.
- A great human story... makes a mighty motion picture.
- John Wayne - Sgt. John M. Stryker
- John Agar - PFC Peter Conway
- Forrest Tucker - PFC Al Thomas
- Wally Cassell - PFC Benny Regazzi
- James Brown - PFC Charlie Bass
- Richard Webb - PFC Dan Shipley
- Arthur Franz - Corporal Robert Dunne / Narrator
- James Holden - PFC Soames
- Richard Jaeckel - PFC Frank Flynn
- William Murphy - PFC Eddie Flynn
- Adele Mara - Allison Bromley
- Julie Bishop - Mary