- Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the Devil; for which reason I have, long since, as good as renounced it.
- Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus (1833-1834), book II, ch. IV
- Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes From the Underground (1864)
- Sarcasm and compassion are two of the qualities that make life on earth tolerable.
- Nick Hornby, Songbook (2003)
- Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.
- Richard Hoover, Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- Sarcasm is not the rapier of wit its wielders seem to believe it to be, but merely a club: it may, by dint of brute force, occasionally raise bruises, but it never cuts or pierces.
- Sarcasm: the last defence of the truly witless
- John G. Pollard, Letters (1981)
- Sarcasm: that's original!
- Dr Horrible, Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog