Sofia Rotaru (born August 7, 1947) is a Russian, Ukrainian, Moldavian and formerly Soviet pop singer-songwriter, record and film producer, dancer, actress, author and fashion icon. Sofia Rotaru is often referred to by the media as the 'Queen of Pop'. She was the first female pop singer in history to receive the award "People's Artist of the USSR" in 1986.
Personal citations of Sofia Rotaru
- Interview "Cosmopolitan Sofia":
If there were a fire in your house, what would be the first thing you would take away with you?
- I would take away my legs.
- 20.02.94, Kyiv, 18:15 a boy from the crowd:
- Sofia Mihailovna, how many languages do you speak?
- I speak Moldavian, Ukrainian and Russian, but what is important is that we understand each other.
- Replying to Anatolii Kirillovich and Ilya Savelievich to their jokes about Aurica Rotaru  during one of the rehearsals in Krasnodar [Russia] ('93):
- One more time, one can't here Aurica!
- Well, she is echoing in Moldavian...
- She is not echoing in Moldavian. I'll show you, khokhols!! Just sing, Aurica.
- Well, I am not singing in the beginning...
- I'm telling you: sing.
- 13.04.95. Kharkiv [Ukraine] speaking to pyrotechnist - about fog on the stage...
- Make sure no one can be seen. Myself as well...
- Interview to the newspaper "Week" [Russian: "Неделя"/Nedelya], 1978:
-They say you started singing from the cradle?
-Couldn't do it in the cradle: the dummy was in the way.
About Sofia Rotaru
- Roman Viktyuk: Her destiny on Earth is to be the sun, the light. Her name in Ukrainian is Sonia, Solnyshko ["Sunny" in English]. That is how she is bringing throughout her whole life to people and throws handfuls of light, love and warmth into the concert halls... Sonechka, you know there was no way I would not appear on this stage since two nice parts of Western Ukraine are here. Sonia, Sonechko, there is no "our" or "your" sun, here is Light - Sonechka. Do keep on lighting, remain as tender, beautiful, talented, young as ever. You are unique, thank you Sonia. (Golden Grammy Awards Russia 2006, song "Do Not Love" [Russian: Не люби/Ne lubi)
- Vladimir Putin: "The art of unique Sofia Rotaru is one of the birghtest pages of modern pop culture. Rare in beauty voice, artistic temper and flawless artistic taste have righteously won You the recognition and love of numerous generations of fans. Your songs come from the very heart an dthat is why they have such a long and happy life." (Russian President has greeted the singer, People's Artist of USSR, S.M.)
- Alla Pugacheva You have recently been at Rotaru's Anniversary. Is it possible that you will perform in the near future a song in duet with Sofia Mihailovna? - I would like to. However, one cannot hurry us in this. Rotaru is enormously overcharged, myself - as well. But we are dreaming about this already for many many years. And the singers' dreams should come true!
- Sofia Rotaru's sister, also singer, back-stage vocal in 1993
- a Russian term used to describe a style of man's haircut that features a lock of hair sprouting from the top or the front of an otherwise closely shaven head. The word is also commonly used mostly by Russians as a derogatory name for Ukrainians, as it was a common haircut of Ukrainian Cossacks. [Sofia Rotaru is Ukrainian national, although of Moldavian origin considering herself also Russian]
- Roman Viktyuk, famous Ukrainian and Russian actor, theatre director, just as Sofia Rotaru, comes originally from Bukovina (a region in Western Ukraine)
- in 2007 Sofia Rotaru turned 60. The major artistic events on the territory of the former USSR were dedicated to Sofia Roatru: reception at Livadia Palace, where Yalta conference took place and Anniversary concert at Kremlin Palace