Sophie B. Hawkins
- The message I got from my record label at the time — and this was on purpose — was that I wasn't selling enough. Even when the single was a hit, it wasn't enough of a hit — I never got to number 1; I only got to number 5. And MTV didn't like the first video for the song, and we had to do another one. So I never felt anything except how bad I was and like, "Oh, shame on you!"
- Interviewed by Cathay Che, The Advocate (8 May 2001)
Tongues and Tails (1992) 
- Damn I wish I was your lover
I'll rock you till the daylight comes
Make sure you are smiling and warm.
- I am everything
Tonight I'll be your mother— I will
Do such things to ease your pain
Free your mind and you won't feel ashamed.
- Shucks, for me there is no other
You're the only shoe that fits
I can't imagine I'll grow out of it.
- I'm dancing in the shadows of life
And death is all around me tonight
I miss you making love to me right
Beside myself I'm holding you tight
Someone is waiting for me to rise
And drive into the ocean I cried
And I cried and I cried my baby to sleep
Beside myself my soul to keep
Right beside you I see
Right beside you I stay
Right beside you I'll be
Right beside you always.
- It felt like spring time on this February morning
In a courtyard birds were singing your praise...
- As I lay me down to sleep
This I pray
That you will hold me dear
Though I'm far away
I'll whisper your name into the sky
And I will wake up happy
- It's not too near for me
Like a flower I need the rain
Though it's not clear to me
Every season has it's change
And I will see you
When the sun comes out again.
The Cream Will Rise (1997) 
- This documentary has lifted the lid off a coffin, and now I'm looking at stuff that I didn't know was there.
Quotations from SophieBHawkins.com 
- So many people are throwing up their hands because the world has gotten so dark, but I went against the current and I actually found more light and positive energy. That was a great feeling.
- The reality is that we're all in the wilderness, and we have to survive on our own, and things constantly change and if we don't accept that, then we're just trying to fool ourselves. But the beauty of wilderness is that sometimes you can wake up in the morning and feel so sweet and whole.
- Before I was signed, I just wanted to get into the system, even though I didn't know what that meant. After I got signed I found that I was confused by all the mixed messages from the label about what I'd have to do to keep their support. I fought and fought to maintain my identity and grow as an artist at the same time, but when I realized that to get their support on Timbre I'd have to start working with schlocky writers and totally sell out, I decided to pack up my marimba and split.
- I used to be more dogmatic, more disciplined and segregated about my time to work; now I have to jump from one song to another, or score a scene in a movie, then get out the door for a performance at a moment's notice. The illusion of control over my schedule is totally obsolete. There is no way to say, "I can't do that right now." It's "Yes, thank you for the opportunity, whatever it takes to get the music out there."
- Just because I sing about women doesn't mean I'm gay. Just because I sing about guys doesn't mean I'm straight.