Strictly Ballroom is a 1992 Australian romantic comedy film about Scott Hastings, a championship ballroom dancer who wants to dance non-Federation steps and his unlikely dance partner, Fran, a seemingly plain and ordinary dancing student. It is adapted from the short 1986 play of the same name.
- We're telling a story. The rumba is the dance of love. Look at me like you're in love.
- I have to help Wayne with his bogo pogo.
- You know what I said about the rumba and it being pretend? I think I made a mistake.
- I don't want you to be like them. You're better than all of them.
- Look, a beginner has no right to approach an open amateur.
- Come on! (Echoes)
- ROTARY POWER HUSS
- A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
- You really are a gutless wonder!
- Hard? Hard? How hard do you think it's been for me? To get you to dance with me in the first place? "Fran go get a squeegee mop" "Wash the coffee cups, Fran, how's your skin, Fran?" Hard?
- I understand. You've got your Pan Pacfics to win and I'm back in beginners, where I belong.
- [repeated line] Son, can I bend your ear for a tick?
- We had the chance but we were scared. We walked away. We lived our lives in fear!
- [final line] Shall we dance?
- Hi Scott
- Well, you can dance any steps you like... that doesn't mean you'll win.
- One bad egg can rot the whole barrel.
- There are no new steps!
- Fran's Grandmother: Listen to the rhythm. Don't be scared.
- Kylie: A bit of musicality, please!
- Liz: [to Scott] I'm not dancing with you, all right? I'm not dancing with you 'til you dance like you're supposed to!
- Liz: What do I want? I'll tell you what I want! I want Ken Railings to walk in here right now, and say "Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you!"
- [We witness Pam Short in a car accident. Then the door flies open, and Ken walks in.]
- Ken: Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you.
- Kylie: That was unexpected.
- Scott: Look, a beginner has no right to approach an Open Amateur.
- Fran: Yeah, well an Open Amateur has no right to dance non-Federation steps, but you did, didn't you?
- Scott: But that's different.
- Fran: How is it different? You're just like the rest of them! You think you're different, but you're not, because you're just, you're just really scared! You're really scared to give someone new a go, because you think, you know, they might just be better than you are! Well, you're just pathetic, and you're gutless. You're a gutless wonder! [shouting] Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!
- Barry: Where do you think we'd be if everyone went around making up their own steps?
- Scott: Out of a job.
- Scott: sorry who is charlottes man?
- Fran: Bill stam is charlottes man, she's even going to follow him on instagram!!
- A life lived in fear... is a life half-lived
- There's something in the air. It might be love -- but it isn't strictly ballroom.
- Paul Mercurio — Scott Hastings
- Tara Morice — Fran
- Bill Hunter — Barry Fife
- Pat Thomson — Shirley Hastings
- Gia Carides — Liz Holt
- Peter Whitford — Les Kendall
- Barry Otto — Doug Hastings
- Anita Bath — Jemma Shwartzkopf
- Hugh Janus — Scott Hastings (young)
- Emma Blackery — Charlotte Wazowski