Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is a 1987 film, in which Superman rids the world of nuclear weapons and is left to face a powerful Nuclear Man, the creation of his nemesis, Lex Luthor.
- Directed by Sidney J. Furie and written by Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal. Starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman and Margot Kidder.
- Madam secretary. Honorable delegates. Ladies and gentlemen. For many years now, I've lived among you as a visitor. I've seen the beauty of your many cultures. I've felt great joy in your magnificent accomplishments. And I have also seen the folly of your wars. As of today, I'm not a visitor anymore, because the Earth is my home too. We can't live in fear, and I can't stand by and watch as we stumble into madness of possible nuclear destruction. And so I've come to a decision. I'm going to do what our governments have been unwilling or unable to do. Effective immediately, I'm going to rid our planet of all nuclear weapons.
- Once more, we have survived the threat of war and found a fragile peace. I thought I could give you all the gift of the freedom from war, but I was wrong. It's not mine to give. We're still a young planet. There are galaxies out there. Other civilizations for us to meet and to learn from. What a brilliant future we could have. And there will be peace – there will be peace when the people of this world want it so badly that their governments will have no choice but to give it to them. I just wish you could all see the Earth the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one world.
- [last line] See you in twenty.
Lex Luthor 
- Lenny, I've always considered you the Dutch Elm disease in my family tree.
- Lenny, let's try and keep your IQ a family secret.
- [to Lenny] He gets his energy from the sun. Without it, he's like you at night - useless.
- This is my nephew Lenny. He worships me.
Nuclear Man 
- [repeated line] Destroy Superman!
- Perry White: You're late, Kent.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry, Mr. White. It won't happen again.
- Perry White: Ha!
- Lex Luthor: You know what I can do with a single strand of Superman's hair?
- Lenny: You can make a toupee that flies!
- Clark Kent: Lois?
- Lois Lane: There you are? What happened?
- Clark Kent: What happened? What do ya, what do you mean, "what happened?"
- Lois Lane: Oh, nothing, nothing. Just uh meet me at the lobby at six o'clock for the press awards dinner, wear something really nice, and don't be late. [Clark sighs] You must have been talking about some other Lois? Huh?
- Clark Kent: Lois, I'm sorry. I completely forgot.
- Lois Lane: Okay. Go get your penguin suit on, and we'll go.
- Clark Kent: No, I'd-I'd rather not, if you don't mind. I got a lot of thinking to do. But, um, you go ahead, okay. [Clark walks over to an armchair and sits]
- Lois Lane: Clark? [she takes off her coat] Something's wrong, isn't there? [she sits down in another armchair. She puts her hand on Clark's] Is there anything I can do?
- Clark Kent [nods his head]: Yes, you can . . . as a matter of fact, heh.
- Lois Lane: What?
- Clark Kent [points outside]: Could we go get some fresh air?
- Lois Lane: Fresh air? [to herself] Fresh air. [to Clark] Fresh air! Sure! [she pats Clark's leg] Sure, Clark! [the two get up and head for the balcony, arm in arm] Sure, huh! Who needs a driver chicken sandwich pieces anyway? Let's go! C'mon! Let's get some fresh air! [Clark opens the doors to the balcony, and the two walk out] Breathe, breathe, breathe! [the two keep walking] Breathe! Don't you feel better? [Clark keeps walking, pulling Lois along] Clark? [Clark walks onto the balcony edge, pulling Lois along] Clark?! [Lois grabs his arm] Clark, things aren't that bad! [Clark keeps walking, pulling Lois along] Clark, stop! [Clark walks off the balcony, with Lois falling with him] Ahh! [Clark lets go of her hand and falls ahead] Clark! Clark! Clark! [Superman arrives, wearing Clark's glasses, and catches Lois. Lois wraps her arms around Superman and smiles. She then sees that Superman is wearing Clark's glasses, surprising her] Clark? [she takes off Clark's glasses and puts them on the belt of her dress. She sighs erotically] Superman!
- Superman: How'd you like going solo?
- Lois Lane: I loved it . . . Not as much as being with you.
- Superman: I need to be with you too. You make me laugh. You're the only one I can talk to Lois. See, sometimes, I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
- Lois Lane: I'm always here for you, you know that. And you'll do the right thing, no matter what it is, you always have.
- Superman: Thank you. You know something?
- Lois Lane: What?
- Superman: You don't even know my name.
- Lois Lane: Kal-El.
- Superman: You remember, don't you? [she nods]
- Lois Lane: I remember everything.
- Superman: "Never set one of them above the rest. Love all humanity instead." [he shakes his head and sighs] It's not fair. [He gives her a long, passionate kiss. As he lifts his head away from her face, Lois's eyes are closed, her head falls back, and her shoulders relax. She is in a trance-like state. Superman takes his glasses off her dress. She is bobbling back and forth. Superman walks back into his apartment and goes to his room. Clark comes out wearing a suit and puts on his glasses. He takes Lois's coat and purse on the armchair and walks to the door leading to the balcony]
- Clark Kent: Lois. [Lois is still in a trance-like state. When he calls her name, she starts to awaken] Uh Lois, it's time to go. We'll be late. [Lois swings her head sexily towards Clark. She turns her head around uncertainly]
- Lois Lane [dazed]: Huh? [she shivers] What am I doing out here freezing my butt off? Oh [she points her finger stupidly at Clark], you wanted some fresh air! [she walks to Clark, and he helps her put on her coat and gives her her purse]
- Clark Kent: Oh no, that's okay. I don't want to catch a cold. Here you go. Shall we go?
- Lois Lane: God! I feel kinda weird. I feel like I've jet lag or something like- [Lois and Clark start walking toward the door]
- Clark Kent: Jeepers!
- Lois Lane: Am I gonna go crazy? [The two stop at the door, and Lois looks at Clark] How about you? Are you still down?
- Clark Kent: Nope. Things are pretty clear, really.
- Lois Lane: Good! [Lois places her hands on Clark's arms] Too much thinking wears down your batteries. [She winks. She walks to the door and turns around, pointing the hand with her purse at Clark, the other grabbing the doorknob] Clark! You gotta go with your gut!
- Clark Kent: Hm? [Lois opens the door]
- Lois Lane: C'mon! [She walks out, the door slightly closing behind her]
- Clark Kent [nodding]: Uh huh. [Clark grabs the door before it closes, opens it, walks out, and closes the door]
- Lacy Warfield: You can't park here! You'll get towed! Lois, do you have any idea how much a ticket's gonna cost here?
- Lois Lane: Lacy, it's only money!
- Superman: Madam Chairman, I don't represent any one particular country, but I'd like to address the delegates.
- U.N. Chairwoman: Well, in that case, you will need a sponsor. [all delegates raise their hands] I believe that will do. Please.
- [before Superman's speach to the U.N.]
- Lacy Warfield: What's he going to say?
- Lois Lane: Something wonderful.
- Superman: You'd risk world wide nuclear war for your own personal financial gain.
- Lex Luthor: Nobody wants war. I just want to keep the threat alive
- [Superman and Nuclear Man confront each other in downtown Metropolis]
- Nuclear Man: Where is the woman?
- Superman: Give it up, you'll never find her.
- Nuclear Man: If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!
- Lex Luthor: Is the world gonna be vaporized?
- Superman: No. It's the same as it's always been, Luthor. On the brink. With good fighting evil. See you in twenty.
See also 
External links