Maybe put some lyric excerpts in it like the Modest MousePage
The favorite page of indie girls who consulted this for nicks and sigs. I mean, seriously. --18.104.22.168 07:06, 16 July 2007 (UTC)
I noticed that this page was starting to resemble a page from SongMeanings.net, with multiple lyrics for each song, I counted six on one of them. I have chopped this article down a lot, leaving a maximum of one quote per song, however I may have been a bit too merciless, so if you know more about the artist in question, or the significance of the words to the songs, please feel free to restore certain lyrics. Thanks. Teenagelicks 17:40, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- I'd also like to say that you guys produced a really fucked-up president who I despise with all my soul... I think they're evil men doing evil things, dragging us closer to the apocalypse. So fuck them... Fuck it all, because they don't care about us.
- Before playing Road to Joy in Dallas, Texas, April 16, 2003.
- Alright this is a love song; I don't know if you guys are into love around here or what but.. I don't know, it's pretty rad.
- Introducing "First day of my life" in Paris, November 2004
- Do you guys consider yourselves to live in the country? [audience reaction]... I heard half "yes"es and have "no"s, so I guess you're confused.
- Live in Fargo, North Dakota November 3, 2007.
- Don't listen, just leave.
- A response to an audience member who cried out, "Don't play, just drink." at a concert in New Hampshire, November 2005.
- I can almost listen to a whole Justin Timberlake song without cringing. I do get a bit bummed out when it comes to Ashlee Simpson though.
- When asked his opinion on current popular music artists
- I feel like we've got a lot of good karma stored up here in Columbus. A few years ago we played here and got kicked out of this club because we started a riot while we were playing, a cop threw Mike over a bike, and like, I pushed a cop, so we drove off in our van, playing our song, and wecome back the next day to load all our stuff, we realized left this unmarked, black bag. It's got all our contracts from the shows we played, $12,000 cash, half a bottle of wine, a bottle of vodka, and a joint. And we realize we left it on the sidewalk. We go back to get it, and of course its gone, so I feel like we've got all this good karma here because we probably made someones day. I'd like to think that a single mom picked it up..and.. sent her kids to.. the doctor or something. But uh..probably not. Probably someone just had a big fuckin' party.
- May 20,2007 Columbus, Ohio
- I like to feel the burn of the audience's eyes when I'm whispering all my darkest secrets into the microphone
- A scripted quote from Todd Fink (of The Faint) playing Conor Oberst in a fake interview on the album Fevers & Mirrors
- I'd rather put a fucking gun to my head than live in your state
- To concert goers,after finishing a show in Texas
- Craig Ferguson: See, I love your work, and I-I'm reading that they're comparing you- saying you're the new Bob Dylan and all that, how does that stuff kinda get you, do you like that? Do you not like it?
Conor Oberst: Uh, I mean... There's certainly worse things to be called.
- Screaming is bad for the voice, but it's good for the heart.
- The whole ideology of indie rock doesn't hold any water anymore; it's not that clear-cut. Every time we sell a record, Time Warner gets a dime from our distributor. I already give a ridiculous amount of my income to the United States government, which is probably the most evil organization on the planet as far as killing people; I don't know how many bombs I've purchased with my tax dollars. Unless you're gonna live on a mountain somewhere, you're not gonna be free of the modern world and all the evils that go with it. What you can do is operate with intelligence and be compassionate, help people when you can. Do things not just for money, but for the craft of it.
- From an interview in "Spin" (April 2007)
- This next song is about train hopping. I don't know if there are any hobos in the audience...
- Before singing "If the Brakeman Turns My Way", live in Ferrara, Italy, 17th July 2007.
- This one goes out to Dick Cheney and his army of satan.
- In Iowa City before singing "Lets not shit ourselves"
- This song is about waking up from a really, really long nightmare
- Before Singing "First day of my life" in London July 2007
- We're all a little broken. We're all a little twisted. We're all less than we could be or want to be.
- From an interview in "Filter" (February 2005)
- Well, I mean...there are certainly worse things to be called
- When asked by Craig Ferguson about the comparison between him and Bob Dylan.
- When it rains it pours, they say. My guess is that its those damned English terrorists with their weather machine, trying to ruin our fun.
- After the roof of the tent collapsed and Oberst was drenched with the collected rainwater. Oxegen Festival, Dublin, July 2007.
- Well, if you die... that's a bummer...
- When asked "How drunk is too drunk?"
- I don't know where those hippies went.
- Said by him in the new documentary One of My Kind
- You don't even know me.
- In response to an audience member who screamed, "I love you, Conor!" at a concert in Philadelphia, 2002.
- I think your Mom is out front to pick you up.
- A reply to a young girl who asked 'Is Kirsten Dunst in the audience?'. At a show that Kirsten Dunst was attending.
- You're a pretty sweet son of a bitch London. I'm talking about the queen.
- London, November 2009.
- Is that the library...where they do the Geneology? I just wanna know where to get baptized after I'm dead.
- at a show in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2009
- Listen to your parents. Sex... just makes you sad most the time.
- before singing "Ten Women" in Pioneertown, CA. Sept. 28, 2010.