VFD result 
The page Speculation was kept and moved to Investment after a Votes for deletion nomination. The archived discussion can be found at Wikiquote:Votes for deletion archive/Speculation. —LrdChaos (talk) 16:11, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
Theme article sourcing 
I've added the source we have to the Buffet quote because I am not aware of any theme-article guidelines that recommend the omission of a source when the quotee article has the source, as was suggested in a recent edit summary. (I certainly didn't notice such a statement in Wikiquote:Templates, Wikiquote:Templates/Themes, or their talk pages.) Leaving the source out is a bad idea for three major reasons:
- We can barely get anyone to check sources as it is. The idea that editors might have to check other articles just to find the sources before they can even check them is beyond unreasonable.
- We have a hard enough time getting people to understand what it means to include a quote in a "Sourced" section. Allowing omissions for such cross-linked quotes (which would not be immediately distinguishable from ones incorrectly added without sources) would pretty much kill any chance of getting consistent sourcing.
- There is no compelling reason to leave out source information. We aren't running out of space.
We should avoid any policy that encourages sloppy sourcing. If a source exists in the quotee article, it should be copied to the quote in the theme article by whoever who notices the omission. (After all, that's a heck of a lot easier than actually finding the source from scratch.) ~ Jeff Q (talk) 09:02, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- You know, I am absolutely certain that I read that somewhere, but I can't find it in any of the obvious suspects. The closest I can come is this from Wikiquote:Guide to layout:
- This can be followed by sub-bullets giving context and more information, although unless relevant to the specific themes these are discouraged. It is highly recommended to add the quotation to the source's page, and add comments and context there instead.
- and this doesn't quite say what I thought I read.
- Anyway, we're not likely to solve this problem given the current structure of Mediawiki -- what's really needed, but very difficult to accomplish, is a database structure that keeps each quote (together with context and citation) separately, combined with a collaborative tagging system to automatically generate theme pages. Not going to happen. 121a0012 03:04, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
- But it'd be sooo useful! Oh, well. If wishes were fishes… Meanwhile, that "Layout" text frightens me. It sounds like a contributing factor to the impression that tagging a quote with a person is "sourcing" it, which causes us so much trouble. In fact, glancing quickly over the "Themes" section, I suspect it needs a thorough revision. Thanks for the info. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 04:08, 6 December 2006 (UTC)