Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to James Brown. --Antiquary 19:39, 6 September 2009 (UTC)
- Disco is James Brown, hip-hop is James Brown, rap is James Brown; you know what I'm saying?
- I did the thing with bonds, which was about 30 million dollars, and didn't get none of the money on them.
- I felt like the blacks had gotten lost in musical trends in some ways, and got away from what they were really looking for.
- I got a wife who likes expensive things, so she takes all the cash.
- I hope you live 200 years, and that I live 200 years minus one day, so I never know beautiful people like you passed away.
- I named my new son James Joseph Brown II. I think he's going to be a lot better than I was.
- I started Michael years ago. I saw him in Gary, Indiana, and we'd have him on the talent shows. He kind of emulated me, and did the best he could.
- I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know.
- I tell my wife, You got plenty of time left. Don't live so fast. Slow down and live, and don't try to catch up.
- I thank God for the Apollo Theater. When I saw those people, that was the awards.
- I think the best thing about being James Brown is looking at my little son. Hopefully I can make my son a role model to a lot of people.
- I think what I came through is great, but my son can take it to another level, not having to fight racism. His mother's a Norwegian and I'm mixed up four or five times, so he can face the world.
- I used to think like Moses. That knocked me down for a couple years and put me in prison. Then I start thinking like Job. Job waited and became the wealthiest and richest man ever 'cause he believed in God.
- I want to say to the young people, Honor thy father and thy mother. Your days will be longer and more fruitful.
- I want to say to you, Help yourself, so you can help someone else.
- I was stillborn. The midwives laid me aside, thought I was really gone. I laid there about an hour, and they picked me back up and tried again, 'cause my body was still warm. The Good Lord brought me back.
- I'm not going to be joining ZZ Top. You know they can't play my stuff. It's too complicated.
- I've outdone anyone you can name -- Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss. Irving Berlin, he wrote 1,001 tunes. I wrote 5,500.
- My son don't have to say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud. He don't have to be called those crazy names.
- Now, we own a publishing house that's way up in the billions of dollars and gets bigger and bigger. That's probably the only thing that makes me look like Bill Gates!
- Retire for what? What would I do? I made my name as a person that is helping. I'm like Moses in the music business.
- Sometimes I feel like I'm a preacher as well, 'cause I can really get into an audience.
- The hardest thing about being James Brown is I have to live. I don't have no down time.
- The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing.
- You can take care of yourself, and God helps those who help themselves.
- You can't teach others if you are living the same way.