- Remember, you have been given absolute power to bind and to loose, but the greater the power, the more terrible its responsibility.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
- Life, man is given as something worthy of sacrifice in the way of His love; free will, as exemplary of justice, is the mechanism by which one's choice in that sacrifice must be made.
- We create the world in which we live; if that world becomes unfit for human life, it is because we tire of our responsibility.
- Once you have glimpsed the world as it might be, it is impossible to live anymore complacent in the world as it is.
- If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders.
- Abigal Van Buren
- Work on yourself first, take responsibility for your own progress.
- I Ching
- Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star.
- Ambrose Bierce
- The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.
- Joan Didion
- With great power comes great responsibility.
- Voltaire [allegedly in Oeuvres de Voltaire, Vol. 48, but this seems to be a misconception, as there is nothing in Voltaire's work that actually references this]
- The great thought, the great concern, the great anxiety of men is to restrict, as much as possible, the limits of their own responsibility.
- Giosué Borsi