The Book of Eli
The Book of Eli (2010) film is a post-apocalyptic story of a lone man who fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind.
- Directed by Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes Written by Gary Whitta.
- Stay on the path. It's not your concern. Stay on the path. It's not your concern.
- Dear lord, thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path, and keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost. Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good I may have done, and I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I am so very tired. But I go now to my rest, at peace, knowing that I have done right in my time on this earth, I fought the good fight. I finished the race. I kept the faith.
- Cursed be the ground, for our sake. Both thorns and thistles shall it bring forth, for us, for out of the ground we were taken for the dust that we are... and to the dust we shall return.
- In all these years I've been carrying it and reading it every day... I got so caught up in keeping it safe that I forgot to live by what I learned from it.
- About his Bible.
- I know what I heard. I know what I hear. I know I'm not crazy.
- Read it!
- repeated line
- I need that book. I want that book!
- It's a weapon! A weapon aimed right at the hearts and minds of the weak and the desperate.
- About the Bible.
- Have you ever thought that maybe you were lost?
- To Eli, about his walking
- I didn't think you would ever give up the book. I thought it was important to you.
- You said I could come with you if I took you to the water!
- You worked so hard for that book. You sacrificed so much. So many men... more than you could spare. Now all those people who were too scared to even say your name, they're downstairs tearing up the bar right now. Did you know that? And there's no one there to stop them.
- To Carnegie
- I was like this since birth. I was lucky... I was already used to living like this.
- About her blindness
- It's like he's protected somehow. Nothing can touch him.
- About Eli
- Lombardi: You don't have to leave, you know. You're more than welcome to stay. You'll be perfectly safe here.
- Solara: Thank you. But this is something I have to do.
- Lombardi: Where will you go?
- Solara: [thoughtfully as she holds the sword] Home.
- Claudia: Where is Solara?
- Carnegie: [gesturing to the window] Out there. Her choice. I tried to bring her back... she refused.
- Claudia: What did you do that she refused?
- Solara: What was is like before?
- Eli: People had more than they needed... people didn't know what was precious and what wasn't... people threw things away they kill each other for now.
- Eli: [seeing the grave yard in the backyard of the homestead] We got to go. Now.
- Solara: They killed all these people?
- Eli: Not just killed. They ate them.
- Solara: Her hands... her hands were shaking.
- Eli: Too much human meat. Let's go!
- Eli: I walk by faith, not by sight.
- Solara: What does that mean?
- Eli: It means you know something if even if you don't something.
- Solara: That doesn't make sense.
- Eli: It doesn't have to make sense. It's faith.
- Martz: That was my cat.
- Eli: Fine specimen.
- Martz: I saw you knock him off the bar.
- Eli: No, I kind of shooed him. I didn't really knock him.
- Martz: You raised your hand at him.
- Eli: Won't happen again, I promise you.
- Solara: I want to come with you.
- Eli: No, you don't.
- Solara: ... I hate it here.
- Eli: Then change it.
- Denzel Washington as Eli
- Gary Oldman as Carnegie
- Mila Kunis as Solara
- Ray Stevenson as Redridge
- Jennifer Beals as Claudia
- Evan Jones as Martz
- Joe Pingue as Hoyt
- Frances de la Tour as Martha
- Michael Gambon as George
- Tom Waits as Engineer
- Chris Browning as Hijack Leader
- Richard Cetrone as Hijacker
- Lateef Crowder as Hijacker / Construction Thug
- Keith Davis as Hijacker
- Don Tai as Hijacker