The Jackal (1997 film)
The Jackal is a 1997 action thriller film, loosely based on the 1973 film The Day of The Jackal. It was directed by Michael Caton-Jones, and stars Bruce Willis, Richard Gere, Sidney Poiter and Diane Venora.
- T. I. Witherspoon: Look, we know that certain gang elements in this prison want you dead.
- Declan Mulqueen: An entire government wants me dead, mister, yet here I am.
- Declan Mulqueen: Ms. Koslova, is it?
- Valentina Koslova: Mm-hmm.
- Declan Mulqueen: And what would your first name be?
- Valentina Koslova: Major. Major Koslova.
- Declan Mulqueen: A man like this doesn't make mistakes.
- Valentina Koslova: No? They always make one somewhere. Isn't that how you were caught?
- Carter Preston: Ouch.
- Carter Preston: Major Koslova ends the debate about women in combat as far as I'm concerned.
- Declan Mulqueen: How's that?
- Carter Preston: She saved my life and took out Terek's brother. She did it knowing she'd be drawing a death sentence down on her neck. But when we offered to set her up some place else when this is over, you know what she said? "The good guys don't hide."
- Declan Mulqueen: Fierce woman.
- Carter Preston: In that country, under that system... staggering.
- Valentina Koslova: [about Isabella Zanconia] She's Basque, isn't she?
- Declan Mulqueen: Aye.
- Valentina Koslova: They say Basques live by the vendetta. If they hate someone it's to the death. It's the same when they love.
- Director Donald Brown: We'll get this guy. We've got our best people on this, and they'll find him. [laughs] That's if he doesn't get his dick in a wringer like most of these clowns.
- [Declan frowns and shakes his head]
- Director Donald Brown: Is something the matter, Mr. Mulqueen?
- Declan Mulqueen: Excuse me, sir. But this man is no clown. He knows all your moves, back to front. Right now, you've got a name; that's all you've got. So the Jackal's got a target: YOU. He's got a timetable. And as to making mistakes, he's spent twenty years in a trade that doesn't forgive error. And he's prevailed. You think he's the one who's up against us? [shakes his head] It's the other way around.
- Declan Mulqueen: Preston, what about letting me have a gun?
- Carter Preston: Are you kidding? If the right people knew I was letting you walk around without cuffs, I'd get forced retirement!
- [The Jackal has just mortally wounded Valentina]
- The Jackal: [points to her wound] Press here.
- [Valentina does so, and moans in pain]
- The Jackal: Ah. See, that's bad. The blood's almost black. That means the bullet is in your liver. I'd say you've got about 20 minutes to live. If the pain gets to be too much, take your hand away, and you'll be dead in five minutes.
- Valentina Koslova: [fiercely] When Declan kills you, you think of me, okay?
- The Jackal: [smiles] Sure, I'll do that.
- [He suddenly grabs her head and whispers cruelly in her ear]
- The Jackal: If you see Declan before you die, tell him that he can't protect his women.
- Carter Preston: I wonder if we'll ever know who the hell he really was.
- Declan Mulqueen: We know all we need to. He was evil, he's dead, and he's gone. Nothing more matters.