The Sum of All Fears (film)
- Directed by Phil Alden Robinson. Screenplay by Paul Attansio and Daniel Pyne, based on the novel by Tom Clancy.
Jack Ryan 
- General, the President is basing his decisions on some really bad information right now. And if you shut me out, your family, and my family, and twenty-five million other families will be dead in thirty minutes.
- The bomb is in play.
- [arguing about the Russian President's health] I'm just saying Zorkin's putting on weight. Really, I don't know why you guys have to reduce everything to sex. It's just disgusting.
- [Negotiating with President Nemerov over the Hot Line] Sir, I know you. I know you had nothing to do with the Baltimore bomb, and you sure as hell know you didn't! But you're still about to launch a nuclear strike against us! This no longer has anything to do with Baltimore! Now it's about fear! Our fear of your missiles, your fear of our subs, fear of being weak, fear of making a mistake... the same fear of the other guy that had us build these goddamn bombs in the first place!
DCI William "Bill" Cabot 
- When I asked for your advice, I didn't mean that you should actually speak.
- You're about to breathe air that's way over your pay grade so listen up. You're going to be asked for analysis and advice, so be God damn sure you know what you're talking about before you give it. :Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Choose your words carefully, words have a habit of being turned into policy.
- Welcome to the CIA, sport.
- What is this, The Paper Chase?
Richard Dressler 
- Most people believe the twentieth century was defined by the death struggle of capitalism versus communism, and that fascism was but a hiccup. Today we know better. Communism was a fool's errand, the followers of Marx gone from this Earth; but the followers of Hitler abound and thrive. Hitler, however, had one great disadvantage. He lived in a time when fascism, like a virus, like the AIDS virus, required a strong host in order to spread. Germany was that host, but strong as it was, Germany couldn't prevail. The world was too big. Fortunately, the world has changed. Global communication, cable TV, the internet. Today the world is smaller, and the virus no longer needs a strong host in order to spread. This virus is airborne. One more thing: let no man call us crazy. They called Hitler crazy, but Hitler wasn't crazy. He was stupid. You don't fight Russia and America. You get Russia and America to fight each other, and destroy each other.
- So what shall we make of Chechnya, asking the West for protection? She is like a beautiful virgin, escaping the clutches of a lecherous bear... and running to Bill Clinton to save her maidenhood.
- Each day we lose a little bit more of our separate, sovereign ability to determine our own futures... and each day the world comes a little bit closer to that terrible moment when the beating of a butterfly's wings unleashes a hurricane God himself cannot stop.
- (Holding a cigarette) They say these things can kill you.
President Robert Fowler 
- This can't be happening.
- My beautiful wife, Julie, is from New Jersey. 15 electoral votes... and is, as you know, half Jewish. So we'll take Florida's 25 electoral votes and divide by 2. My daughter, Jeanie, is expecting her first child. If it's a girl, she will be named Virginia. 13 electoral votes. In fact, even if it's a boy, he'll be named Virginia. She reminds me that I have publicly acknowledged that as a young Marine officer in Vietnam, I did, on a handful of occasions, smoke marijuana. [pause] California. 54 electoral votes.
John Clark 
- [Jack's giving a quick briefing using a PDA] I need to get one of those. I don't even have E-mail.
- Shoot him, Ryan. Shoot him before he figures out what I'm saying.
- I'm a physician. I promise whatever you tell me will stay between us.
- President Nemerov: [after signing the treaty] Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. Original by: JFK
- President Nemerov: I can't stop what I did not start.
- Haft: [in German] Are you crazy? All over the world, right-wing parties, nationalist movements, Nazis, Aryan Nations, all working together for the first time? Is that not perfect?
- [en route to Russia]
- Cabot: Jack...Jack what are you doing?
- Jack: Oh... I had a date tonight so I have to call and cancel.
- Cabot: Well don't be stupid! Tell her where you're going. In fact tell her who you work for. She'll be impressed.
- Jack: [to Cathy, his girlfriend, over the phone] OK. I work for the CIA, and the Director asked me at the last minute to come with him to Russia with him to do a nuclear arms inspection. Hello?
- Cathy: That is so lame.
- Jack: No, I swear, it's because of the START treaty, we get to inspect to make sure they're really decommissioning their nuclear arsenal...
- [Cathy hangs up]
- Jack: Hello?...Hello?
- [Cabot starts laughing]
- Jack: Thanks a lot.
- Cabot: What's the t-shirt say?
- Depot Worker: "I am a bomb technician, if you see me running"...
- Depot Worker: ..."try to catch up."
- Jack:I don't go on the, you know, missions, I just write reports for the CIA.
- John Clark: Then write a report about it.
- Cabot:Are you Ryan?
- Jack: Yes, sir.
- Cabot: What is this? The Paper Chase?
- Jack: Sir, my ah...
- Cabot: Well come on, we're late.
- [after an unpleasant silence]
- President Nemerov: [to Jack Ryan] I like you.
- Bill Cabot: In that case, so do I.
- Bill Cabot: How's your Russian?
- John Clark: It still works. Why?
- Bill Cabot: Three Russian nuclear scientists are missing. I need to know where they are.
- [over the Hot Line, after the carrier attack]
- President Nemerov: [in Russian] I ordered no such attack. You must not respond to this action until we have investigated all possibilities.
- President Fowler: Like you did in Chechnya? Mr. President, who is in control of your armed forces?
- President Nemerov: [in Russian] You dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. You dropped the bomb on Nagasaki. Do not lecture me on Chechnya!
- President Fowler: We gotta update these fire drills, Billy. I mean, if the shit ever hits the fan, I'm not going underground. This place is a goddamn tomb down there!
- Bill Cabot: We've also gotta choose someone else to face off against besides the Russians all the time.
- President Fowler: Really? Let's see. Who else has 27,000 nukes for us to worry about?
- Bill Cabot: It's the guy with one I'm worried about.
- President Fowler: And don't underestimate Zorkin, pal. Between his economy, crime, Chechnya...
- Cabot: His liver.
- President Fowler: What's left of it. How is he, by the way?
- Cabot: He's got a press conference scheduled for this afternoon. So at least we know he can sit up.
- Dubinin: I remain devoted to our little plan.
- Dressler: At what you are charging us, I am not surprised.
- [arriving at the airfield]
- Revell: Mr. President, are you all right?
- President Fowler: Jesus, Gene, how the hell do you think I am? How many casualties?
- Revell: We don't know.
- President Fowler: Cabot said it was Russian, how the hell did they get it in?
- Revell: We don't know. Radar didn't pick it up, so it wasn't a missile.
- President Fowler: Well... how is Cabot, is he all right?
- Revell: I don't know!
- President Fowler: [shouts] Then what do you know?
- Revell: [shouts] I don't know, all right! I don't know!
- President Fowler: All right, Gene, all right...
- Revell: [shouts] I don't know, for Christ's sake!
- [aboard the command plane]
- Owens: Are you advocating we launch a first strike...
- Becker: [shouts] It is not a first strike! There's already been a first strike! And a second! Don't you get it?
- Owens: No! I don't get it! I don't understand why we have to nuke them, for God's sake!
- Owens: It's not reasonable!
- President Fowler: Sidney, goddamnit! They practically sank an aircraft carrier! Their missile silos are hot! We're getting nothing but bullshit from Nemerov! And let's not forget how this thing started, OK? They tried to kill me, remember! So don't fucking tell me to be reasonable!
- Revell: We've got activity on the Hot Line.
- President Fowler: They had their chance.
- Revell: No, no. Someone's talking to the Kremlin.
- Ben Affleck... Jack Ryan
- Morgan Freeman... DCI William Cabot
- Bridget Moynahan... Dr. Catherine Muller
- James Cromwell... President Robert Fowler
- Liev Schreiber... John Clark
- Alan Bates... Richard Dressler
- Ron Rifkin... Secy. State Sidney Owens
- Ciarán Hinds... President Nemerov