Tomorrow Never Dies
Tomorrow Never Dies is a 1997 film about James Bond's attempt to stop a media mogul's plan to induce war between China and the UK in order to obtain exclusive global media coverage. It is the 18th entry in the James Bond film series.
- Directed by Roger Spottiswoode. Written by Bruce Feirstein, based on characters created by Ian Fleming.
- [punches out a terrorist after lighting his cigarette] Filthy habit.
- [after ejecting his co-pilot into a pursuing jet and destroying it] Backseat driver.
- [Making love to his language tutor] I always enjoyed learning a new tongue.
- [After killing a henchman in a newspaper printing press] They'll print anything these days.
- Another Carver building. If I didn't know better, I'd say he developed an edifice complex.
- [to Carver before he is killed by the sea-vac] You forgot the first rule of mass media, Elliot! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!
- [To guests at his party] There's absolutely no truth in this malicious rumour that I started running mad cow disease stories simply because Sir Angus Black, the great British beef baron, lost £10,000 to me in a game of poker and refused to pay up. Moreover, there's even less truth in the rumour I took a hundred million francs from the French to keep the stories running for another year.
- When I was 16, I went to work for a newspaper in Hong Kong. It was a rag, but the editor taught me one important lesson. The key to a great story is not who or what or when, but why.
- The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- Soon I'll have reached out to and influenced more people than anybody in the history of this planet, save God Himself. And the best He ever managed was the Sermon on the Mount.
- Fire one missile at the flagship of each fleet. The Chinese will think the British are rattling the sabre. The British will think the Chinese are being belligerent. And the media will provide cool, objective coverage. Let the mayhem begin!
- [gloating over a seemingly beaten Bond] You're too late again, Mr. Bond. The missile is fully programmed; it can't be stopped. In a matter of moments, my plan will succeed, and thanks largely to your efforts, the British Navy will destroy the evidence. And I'll be out of here, in a Carver News helicopter covering the event. It's going to be a fantastic show!
- There's no news like bad news.
- M: [upon seeing American military technology in terrorist hands] I wonder, will the CIA be more upset that they lost it, or we found it?
- M: I believe you once had a relationship with Carver's wife, Paris.
- James Bond: That was a long time ago, M... before she was married. I didn't realize it was public knowledge.
- Miss Moneypenny: Queen and country, James.
- M: Your job is to find out whether Carver or someone in his organization sent that ship off course, and why. Use your relationship with Mrs. Carver, if necessary.
- James Bond: I doubt if she'll remember me.
- M: Remind her. Then pump her for information.
- Miss Moneypenny: You'll just have to decide how much pumping is needed, James.
- James Bond: If only that were true of you and I, Moneypenny.
- Elliot Carver: Mr. Wallace, call the President. Tell him if he doesn't sign the bill lowering the cable rates, we will release the video of him with the cheerleader in the Chicago motel room.
- Mr. Wallace: Inspired, sir.
- Elliot Carver: And after he signs the bill, release the tape anyway.
- Mr. Wallace: Consider him slimed.
- Elliot Carver: Mr. Jones, are we ready to release our new software?
- Jones: Yes, sir. As requested, it's full of bugs, which means people will be forced to upgrade for years.
- Elliot Carver: Outstanding.
- Admiral Roebuck: With all due respect, M, I think you don't have the balls for this job.
- M: Perhaps. But the advantage is, I don't have to think with them all the time.
- [Bond turns round to see Q disguised as an Avis representative]
- Q: It's the insurance damage waiver for your beautiful new car. Now, will you need collision coverage?
- James Bond: Yes.
- Q: Fire?
- James Bond: Probably.
- Q: Property destruction?
- James Bond: Definitely.
- Q: Personal Injury?
- James Bond: I hope not, but accidents do happen.
- Q: They frequently do with you.
- James Bond: Well, that takes care of the normal wear-and-tear. Is there any other protection I need?
- Q: Only from me 007, unless you bring that car back in pristine order.
- Elliott Carver: Is the missile ready?
- Henry Gupta: Press the magic button, Beijing disappears.
- Elliott Carver: Well then, it seems you've outlived your contract.
- [Elliott shoots and kills Gupta]
[after a test run with the remote control for his new BMW]
- James Bond: [satisfied] I think we understand each other.
- Q: [exasperated] Grow up, 007!
[Bond approaches Paris at the launch party]
- James Bond: I always wondered how I'd feel if I saw you again. [she turns around, looks at him, and slaps him] Now I know. Was it something I said?
- Paris Carver: How about the words "I'll be right back"?
- Paris Carver: Do you know that I used to read the newspaper every day looking for your obituary?
- James Bond: Sorry to disappoint.
- [Bond has Dr. Kaufman, the assassin who killed Paris, at gunpoint]
- Dr. Kaufman: Wait! I'm just a professional doing a job!
- James Bond: Me, too. [shoots him dead]
- [the phone in Bond's car rings]
- James Bond: Yes?
- Elliot Carver: Good morning, Mr. Bond. Elliot Carver. I believe you have two things that belong to me.
- James Bond: What are you talking about?
- Elliot Carver: The red box, Mr. Bond...[pause] and my wife, in your hotel room.
[Bond arrives at an American military base]
- Jack Wade: Yo, Jimbo!
- James Bond: Wade, what the hell are you doing here?
- Jack Wade: C'mon, Jimbo, you know the world's my office! This way...you know, officially, Uncle Sam is completely neutral in this turkey shoot.
- James Bond: And unofficially?
- Jack Wade: We have no interest in seeing World War III, unless we start it.
- Master Sergeant 3: [prepping Bond for jump] You free-fall for five miles and use your oxygen, or you will die of asphyxiation.
- Jack Wade: Sounds like my first marriage!
- Wai-Lin: It's mostly dull routine, of course, but every now and then you get to sail on a beautiful evening like this. And sometimes work with a decadent agent of a corrupt Western power.
- James Bond: And they say communists don't know how to have fun.
- Wai-Lin: Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I don't even have a "little red book."
- James Bond: You were pretty good with that hook.
- Wai-Lin: Thanks. It comes from growing up in a rough neighborhood. You were pretty good on the bike.
- James Bond: Thank you. It comes from not growing up at all.
- Elliot Carver: [explaining his plan] What you're about to witness, Miss Lin, is not so much a missile attack as the launch of a new world order. In precisely 5 minutes, after your countrymen have attacked the British fleet, I shall retaliate for dear old England by sending this missile in to Beijing, where General Chang has called for an emergency meeting of the Chinese High Command. Unfortunately, General Chang will be 'delayed' in traffic, arriving just after the missile has killed your leaders, and too late to stop the air force from sinking the entire British fleet. But he will be just in time to take over the government, negotiate a truce and emerge as a world leader, with the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Wai-Lin: And what do you get?
- Elliot Carver: Me? Oh, nothing...just exclusive broadcasting rights in China for the next 100 years.
- Elliot Carver: Do you realise how absurd your position is?!
- James Bond: No more absurd than starting a war for ratings!
- Elliot Carver: Great men have always manipulated the media to save the world. Look at William Randolph Hearst, who told his photographers "You provide the pictures, I'll provide the war". I've just taken it one step further.
[Bond, while Carver is talking, notices a henchman trying to sneak up on him. As soon as Carver finishes, Bond shoots the henchman dead.]
- James Bond: Sorry, I tuned out for a moment, Elliot.
- Elliot Carver: Touché.
[The stealth boat appears on radar, and the British inform the Chinese - the reply comes in]
- Communications Officer, HMS Bedford: Signal from the Chinese fleet commander.
- Captain, HMS Bedford: "To Royal Navy task group. We also have the unknown ship on our screens. We will not fire unless it turns towards China. Until then, she's yours. Good hunting."
- Admiral Kelly: Now, Captain... whatever the hell that thing is, sink it.
- Captain, HMS Bedford: Right, sir. PWO, is that echo too weak for missile lock?
- Weapons Officer, HMS Bedford: Yes, sir.
- Captain, HMS Bedford: Right. We'll do it the old-fashioned way.
- Miss Moneypenny: You were always a cunning linguist, James.
[Miss Moneypenny hangs up the phone and turns to see M behind her]
- Miss Moneypenny: Don't ask.
- M: Don't tell.
[last lines; as HMS Bedford searches for Bond and Wai Lin]
- Wai Lin: They're looking for us, James.
- James Bond: Let's stay under cover.
- Pierce Brosnan - James Bond
- Jonathan Pryce - Elliot Carver
- Michelle Yeoh - Wai Lin
- Teri Hatcher - Paris Carver
- Ricky Jay - Henry Gupta
- Götz Otto - Stamper
- Joe Don Baker - Jack Wade
- Vincent Schiavelli - Dr. Kaufman
- Judi Dench - M
- Desmond Llewelyn - Q
- Samantha Bond - Miss Moneypenny
- Colin Salmon - Charles Robinson
- Geoffrey Palmer - Admiral Roebuck
- Julian Fellowes - Minister of Defence
- Terence Rigby - General Bukharin