- I want to be with my friends. I'm drunk. I want to phone my mum. She's going to be embarrassed by this conversation. I don't care. I don't give a fuck about it.
- Clare Longrigg, "Sixty Minutes, Noise: by art's bad girl", The Guardian, (1997-12-04)
- Said by Emin, apparently drunk, during a live Channel 4 programme. The remark made national news and catapulted her to overnight fame.
- Your paintings are stuck, you are stuck! Stuck! Stuck! Stuck!
- When it comes to words I have a uniqueness that I find almost impossible in art – and it's my words that actually make my art quite unique.
- There is no comparison between him and me; he developed a whole new way of making art and he's clearly in a league of his own. It would be like making comparisons with Warhol.
- When I think about sex it makes me realise how alone I feel.
- If you’ve made seminal work, you never know when the next one is coming or where it’s coming from. Most artists never make a seminal piece of art in their lives, and if you’ve made two, which I have, then I’ve done all right.
- I often think that I don’t really know anything, and then, when I think about my work, and my sewing, and about my blankets, I know what I’m doing: I can cut out a sentence in felt in five minutes; it would take most people that amount of time just to cut out one letter.
- I couldn't have sex with someone who didn't think was a good artist.