Vaclav Klaus (born 19 June 1941) is the second President of the Czech Republic and a former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic (1992–1997). He is co-founder of the Civic Democratic Party, one of the the Czech Republic's major political parties. He became president of the Czech Republic in 2003.
- Environmentalism is a dangerous ideology endangering human freedom.
- (2007) HARDtalk with Vaclav Klaus. BBC News (November 2007).
- You cannot have democratic accountability in anything bigger than a nation state.
- We must say openly that the present economic system of the EU is a system of a suppressed market, a system of a permanently strengthening centrally controlled economy. Although history has more than clearly proven that this is a dead end, we find ourselves walking the same path once again. This results in a constant rise in both the extent of government masterminding and constraining of spontaneity of the market processes. In recent months, this trend has been further reinforced by incorrect interpretation of the causes of the present economic and financial crisis, as if it was caused by free market, while in reality it is just the contrary – caused by political manipulation of the market. It is again necessary to point out to the historical experience of our part of Europe and to the lessons we learned from it.
- Speech in the European Parliament, on EU