.hack//Roots (ドットハック ルーツ Dotto Hakku Rūtsu?) is a 26-episode anime series, animated by studio Bee Train, that sets as a prologue for the .hack//G.U. video games. It is the first .hack TV series broadcast in HDTV (1080i). It is set seven years after the events of the first two anime series and games. .hack//Roots revolves around an MMORPG game called The World R:2, also known as The World Revision:2 and serves a sequel to the original version of "The World". Its original Japanese television run aired from April 5, 2006 through September 27, 2006
Welcome to The World [1.1]
- Phyllo: Tell me do you know what the difference between mysterious and ecentric is?
- Haseo: Is Ovan, ecentric?
- Phyllo: What else do you call a guy who spends all his energy searching for something which most people believe doesn't exist
- Ovan: You have a gift, Haseo.
- Haseo: A gift?
- Ovan: Something completly unique that only you possess
Twilight Brigade [1.2]
- Haseo: I heard you're looking for something.
- Shino:The Key of the Twilight, but that's not all. So, will you answer my question now? You don't have to answer right away.
- Shino: ...When talking with others, you should look them in the eyes.
- Haseo: Eyes? This is just a game. Who wants to look at CG eyes?
- Shino: Perhaps it's because it's a game that you should. People don't feel like talking to you if you're looking away.
- Haseo: I don't get you.
strong>:Shino': Babies can't speak, so they watch their mother's faces closely. Are you saying you can't do what even a baby can?
- Ovan: Plants are strange things. Even if you've forgotten about the seed, when the season arrives they bud. They drop a seed and it buds again. Water, light and nutrients: as long as they have those, they grow.
- Tabby: What color of flower do you like?
- Ovan: Black.
- Ovan: I'm just spreading the seeds.
- Shino: There used to be a statue of a young girl here.
- Haseo: A young girl?
- Shino: Aura. That's what she was called.
- Haseo: Why is it gone now?
- Shino: Don't know. Maybe she just got bored...of this world.
Ovan: This game has an amazing amount of independence.
- Haseo: Hey, just stop following me.
- Tabby: Its dangerous on your own.
- Haseo: Well, Sakisaka's by himself.
- Tabby: No you don't understand. Sakisaka will be fine.
- Haseo: Why?
- Tabby: Because he's my teacher. He can't lose.
- Haseo: You're getting on my nerves.
- Sakisaka: An unusable item... The Key of the Twilight?
- Ovan: We are just facing an unavoidable situation.
- Ovan: They are not the kind of people who lose faith easily
- Shino: Because you are... Ovan's future.
- Shino: From this day, the Twilight Brigade is disbanded.
- Shino: If I'm gone... take care of Haseo.