Automation is the use of control systems such as computers to operate industrial machinery and perform processes, replacing human operators. In the scope of industrialization, it is a step beyond mechanization. Whereas mechanization provides human operators with machinery to assist them with the physical requirements of work, automation greatly reduces the need for human sensory and mental requirements as well.
|This science article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Anything that can be automatically done for you can be automatically done to you.
- Besides black art, there is only automation and mechanization.
- Federico García Lorca, Poet in New York
- As the bourgeoisie, by means of its capital, completely monopolizes all new inventions, every new machine, instead of shortening the hours of labor and enhancing the prosperity and happiness of all, causes, on the contrary, dismissal from employment for some, reduction of wages for others and an increased and intensified state of misery for the entire proletariat.
- Johann Most, The Beast of Property (1884)