Beauty and the Beast (1991 film)
(Redirected from Beauty and the Beast)
- Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise. Written by Roger Allers, Kelly Asbury, Brenda Chapman, Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, Tom Ellery, Kevin Harkey, Robert Lence, Burny Mattinson, Brian Pimental, Joe Ranft, Chris Sanders, Bruce Woodside and Linda Woolverton.
- [first lines] Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young Prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the Prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar-woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the Prince sneered at the gift and threatened to turn the old woman away. But she warned him not be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness suddenly melted away to reveal a beautiful Enchantress. The Prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. And as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous Beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there. Ashamed of his monstrous form, the Beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his twenty-first year. If he were to learn to love another and earn her love in return before the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast forever. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a Beast?
- Oh, it's no use. She's so beautiful, and I'm...Well, look at me!
- He's not a monster anymore, Gaston. YOU ARE!
- Everybody knows my father's not crazy--he's a boy genius!
- [suggesting things to woo Belle] Well, there's the usual things. Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep.
- [singing] Tale as old as time, true as it can be. Barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly.
- Gaston: [flicking through the pages of Belle's book] How can you read this? It doesn't have any pictures!
- Belle: [laughs] Well, some people use their imagination.
- Gaston: [tossing the book aside with his hand] Belle, maybe sometimes it makes me wish you got your head out of those books and paid attention to more important things. Like me. Everybody in the whole town is talking about it. I don't think it's right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting "ideas" and "thinking"--
- Belle: Gaston, you are positively primeval.
- Gaston: Why, thank you, Belle!
- [Belle raises her eyebrows in surprise.]
- [The Beast catches Belle in the West Wing.]
- Beast: Why did you come here?
- Belle: I'm--I'm sorry.
- Beast: I warned you never to come here!
- Belle: I didn't mean any harm.
- Beast: I let her go.
- Cogsworth: [chuckles] Yes. Splendid-- [realizes what the Beast just said] You what? How could you do that?!
- Beast: I had to.
- Cogsworth: Yes, but...why?
- Beast: Because...I love her.
- [The Beast lays dying with Belle at his side. Meanwhile, the rose is finally down to its last petal.]
- Beast: You- You came back.
- Belle: Of course I came back. I couldn't let them... [hugs the Beast] Oh, this is all my fault. If only I'd gotten here sooner, I'd--
- Beast: Maybe it would be better...it would be better this way.
- Belle: Don't talk like that. You'll be all right. We're together now. Everything's going to be just fine. You'll see.
- [Knowing better, the Beast reaches up and touches Belle's cheek.]
- Beast: At least I wish I could see you...one last time.
- [His hand falls and his eyes close.]
- Belle: No. No! Please. Please! Please don't leave me! [Sobs] I love you.
- [The last petal falls away, leaving Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts distraught.]
- Chip: Are they going to live happily ever after, Mama?
- Mrs. Potts: Of course, darling. Of course.
- Chip: [pause] Would I rather sleep in the cupboard?
- Robby Benson — Beast (voice)
- Paige O'Hara — Belle (voice)
- Richard White — Gaston (voice)
- Jerry Orbach — Lumiere (voice)
- David Ogden Stiers — Cogsworth/Narrator (voice)
- Angela Lansbury — Mrs. Potts
- Jesse Corti — Lefou (voice)
- Bradley Pierce — Chip (voice)
- Kimmy Robertson — Featherduster (voice)