Beds are large pieces of furniture (or locations) used as a place to sleep, and as a primary place for relaxation. Most modern beds consist of a mattress on a bed frame, with the mattress resting either on a solid base, often wooden slats, or a sprung base.
- People who think of beds only in terms of sexual exercise or sleep simply do not understand that a bed is the best of all places for a philosophical discussion, an argument, and if necessary a showdown. It was not by chance that so many kings of old administered justice from their beds, and even today there is something splendidly parliamentary about an assembly of concerned persons in a bed.
- The Erie railroad kills 23 to 46; the other 845 railroads kill an average of one-third of a man each; and the rest of that million, amounting in the aggregate to that appalling figure of 987,631 corpses, die naturally in their beds! You will excuse me from taking any more chances on those beds. The railroads are good enough for me.
- I give men assertive training out of bed and they give me more assertive training in bed.
- Suzy Chaffee quoted in Machisma: Women and Daring by Grace Lichtenstein (1981)
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 63.
- Matthew, Mark, Luke and John,
The bed be blest that I lye on.
- Thomas Ady, A Cradle in the Dark, page 58 (London, 1656).
- Théâtre des ris et des pleurs
Lit! où je nais, et où je meurs,
Tu nous fais voir comment voisins
Sont nos plaisirs et chagrins.
- To rise with the lark, and go to bed with the lamb.
- Nicholas Breton, Court and County (1618 reprint), pg. 183.
- Like feather-bed betwixt a wall
And heavy brunt of cannon ball.
- Samuel Butler, Hudibras, Part I (1663-64), Canto II, line 871.
- O bed! O bed! delicious bed!
That heaven upon earth to the weary head.
- Thomas Hood, Miss Kilmansegg, Her Dream.
- Rise with the lark and with the lark to bed.
- James Hurdis, The Village Curate.
- The bed has become a place of luxury to me! I would not exchange it for all the thrones in the world.