Beyond the Sea (film)
Beyond the Sea is a 2004 Biographical film based on the life of singer/actor Bobby Darin. The film depicts Darin's rise to teen idol success in both the music and film industry during the 1950s and 60s, as well as his marriage to Sandra Dee.
- [voice over] So I had a hot head, a weak heart and even a worse stage name. Walden Robert Cassotto isn't exactly a name you can see in a marquee, well maybe for one night only and one of the things that most performers were doing back then was to find a great stage name and then one day, I saw it, the perfect name, just blinking, Darin, Darin, Bobby Darin and no sooner did I change my name and I got my first gig on television. Unfortunately, I didn't know the lyrics to the song I decided to sing, so I had to devise my own method to get through it on live television. Didn't win me many fans, but it didn't finish me either. My record company was giving me one last chance to make a hit.
- [To Sandra Dee] You know I was right about you. You're gonna be easy to love.
- May I have this dance?
- [voice over] Momma was right about music, it opened a whole new world to me, outside of time and illness, the world I could live in.
- [Narrating] Soon I would be old enough to head to New York, but momma had one more lesson to teach.
- FROM THE HALF WAY MARK!
- Let's go make movies.
- [voice over] So I did stay at home for a while, the nineteen sixties rushed by like a locomotive, while Dodd grew up like a moose. Sandy and I made a couple of movies together, but they were all dogs. The music scene was changing as dramatically as the country. Nightclubs were out and big venues like stadiums were in. I was suddenly irrelevant, my stage literally disappearing. I tried to write new music and got involved in politics because we were now a country at war. But the fact was I was a balding chart singer who hadn't had a hit in years and who should be dead.
- Steve Blaunder: You gotta be kidding me. That was perfect.
- Bobby Darin: We can do it better.
- Sandra Dee: I have never worked with anyone so unprofessional in my life. I mean, have even acted before?
- Bobby Darin: Well, I'm learning, but let me tell you something, Blondie, you're not exactly Audrey Hepburn.
- Bobby Darin: It's OK, I'm not gonna hurt you. Watch. My momma used to tell me a story when I was a kid that in the Middle Ages, one of the knights in King Arthur's court, he laid down his sword between himself and Guinevere, and he promised that he would never cross over to the other side.
- Sandra Dee: Really?
- Bobby Darin: I am laying down this sword between us. That's my side of the bed, and that's yours, and I will never cross over. Ever. I don't care if we don't touch for a thousand nights. Only you can cross over to my side. Only you.
- Sandra Dee: What's he talking about?
- Bobby Darin: The tour, baby.
- Sandra Dee: Honey, I'm not done finishing my movie yet.
- Bobby Darin: Well that's okay, you and Dodd can join when your done.
- Sandra Dee: I'm not bringing the baby on the road.
- Bobby Darin: Well, then leave him with the nanny, that's why we hired her.
- Sandra Dee: I don't want Dodd to be raised by the nanny.
- Bobby Darin: He's not going to be raised by the nanny and what am I going to do on the road, who am I going to sing to if your not there.
- Steve Blauner: [interrupting a tender moment] Bobby! Whoa, sorry. But I was right about the war picture. Get your speech ready 'cause as soon as this tour is over, you're going to the Oscars, pal. You just got nominated.
- Bobby Darin: [shouting] Halleujah! Yes! Yes!
- Sandra Dee: Oh, Christ.
- Mary Duvan: [after Sandra and Bobby get engaged] I wished you had concentrated more on Rock Hudson.
- Sandra Dee: Rock Hudson is a very nice man, Mother, but I'm not in love with him.
- Mary Duvan: He still would have made a better husband than that "BOBBY DARIN"!
- Bobby Darin: I gotta prove I can sing, I want it all. I want the major leagues. I want nightclubs, Vegas, movies, TV. This album will make it happen all fast, faster than you can imagine.
- Bobby Darin: Hey kid! come here.
- Delivery guy: What's up?
- Bobby Darin: I just got a question. Could you do me a favour?
[Walks around him]
- Bobby Darin: Would you look at me?
- Delivery guy: What?
- Bobby Darin: Just look at me. Do you know me?
- Delivery guy: What?
- Bobby Darin: Do you recognise me?
- Delivery guy: What are you talking about?
- Bobby Darin: Do I look familiar to you?
- Delivery guy: No! you don't. I don't know you. Would you leave me alone you crazy bastard, I got things to do.
- Bobby Darin: Thanks pal!
[Walks to Ahmet]
- Bobby Darin: Ahmet, when the delivery guy knows me, than I'm a star.
- Polly Cassotto:[To young Bobby] You know before your sister was born, this is what your momma did for a living. Music was over the whole new world to me, no matter how bad I feel, no matter how sad or sick I am I just touched these keys. Like magic I always seem to feel better. I've always known you had talent Bobby, this piano is for you Charlie worked hard for it. See God wouldnt have made you suffer so much if you werent gonna make up for it later.
- Bobby Darin: So part of momma's plan was....
- Little Bobby: Wait a minute! wait a minute!
- Bobby Darin: What?
- Little Bobby: You didn't go dancing down the street like that.
- Bobby Darin: I know, it's a fantasy sequence.
- Little Bobby: But it's not real.
- Bobby Darin: Forget real. Listen kid, memories are like moonbeams we do with them what we want. (winks)
- Little Bobby: Oh okay than. Go on, I'll be around if you need me.
- Bobby Darin: When did you meet Nina? What year?
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: I don't know, nineteen thirty something.
- Bobby Darin: Do you know who my father is, Charlie?
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: No Bobby, I don't know.
- Bobby Darin: I wish I knew who he was.
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: Look Bobby, I know I ain't no college boy, but I always felt like I was your father.
- Bobby Darin: Charlie, you've been more then a father to me, you know that. I just wish I knew.
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: Well, you stay out here much longer, Dodd's gonna be saying the same thing about you. Now, you may not know who your father is, but you got two mothers out of the deal and both of them were great. Have you seen how hard its been for her, not to be able to tell anybody that your her son. You ought'a find yourself, get back on the stage. You are Bobby Darin.
- Bobby Darin: Yeah, that's who I thought I was.
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: Okay, Walden Robert Cassotto.
- Bobby Darin: No I'm not Charlie. I'm not even him.
- Charlie Cassotto Maffia: Well, maybe your both.
- In the era of cool, he was the soundtrack.
- The voice. The passion. The confidence.
- Kevin Spacey - Bobby Darin
- Kate Bosworth - Sandra Dee
- John Goodman - Steve Boom Boom Blauner
- Bob Hoskins - Charlie Cassotto Maffia
- Brenda Blethyn - Polly Cassotto
- William Ullrich - Little Bobby